Guest made a false document

G19
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

Guest made a false document

The guest booked for 1 person , his message was quite odd he asked for fast internet and a discount and said he was here for a week and would be out and working alot. We offered a small discount and he booked. His next message was even starnger as he demanded zero cancelleatioin fees if he arrived and both bedrooms were not made up ?

I emailed that both rooms were made up and asked if he was bringing an extra guest to please provide all details of this person.

He didnt reply. He arrived with an extra guest. They stayed a week, never went out, lots of noise - quite distrsessing. 

Upon check out day they did not leave on time. I sent a reminder massge to please check out still no reply. 

When they did check out late i went in and it was totally disgusting. I took lots of photographs. 

Fridge full of old half eaten bowls of chicken and every pan used and dirty on the bench, food stuck on from days of not cleaning. Furniture moved around., floor scratched and damaged. Sofa stained with food. Not ok. 

My cleaning policy clearly states to remove all rubbish and wash all kitchen items on departure and no extra guests.

I filed a claim through Air b and that claim from my understanding is sent to the guest too . They did not respond and after 6 days I was paid some compensation out of that claim. 

I also however recived a warning message from Air B that i was violatiing rules by trying to directly extort money from the guest. I asked what were they talking about and they sent a photo of a false text message the guest has sent them with my phone number demanding payment outside of Air B otherwise i would ensure the guest be removed from the platform. The false document is on their file. 

I responded immediately in the thread thAt this is a false document. I asked for legal support due to falsifying documents in my name and my concern at the lack of investigation into the serious allegations of extortion .

Air B did not reply. 

I called Air B 10 hours later after work and asked for further legal support and advice on this , i asked if i should go to the police to file a statement as i have some concerns now of what this guest is capable of. I was on the phone for 40 mins, They did not escalate me to a case worker, the phone operator 'john' would not give me his operator number so i could follow up. He essentially told me the text message looked legit therefore i was being warned and that if i want to go to the police i could but Air b will not really provide any guidance or policy on what to do at this time. None of this phonecall was documented in the thread. 

This morning i recived another message that they have investigated and that the text message looks real.  I asked for this to be escalated.

What are my legal rights ? Is there an ombudsman or trading standards i can follwo up with. This guest has falsfied a document which is now on file and my account with Air B is now registered being warned, In addition this guest knows my address and is clearly upset / seeking retribution due to my claim for damages to my property during his stay, 

Any guidance appreciated. I would love to take my listing down and seek another more ethical platform, obviously Air B is so well known its got the market at this point. I have been a host for 9 years. 

4 Replies 4
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @G19 ,

I am sorry to hear of the incident and have also reached out to the team to look further. Hope someone will get in touch with you soon.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

G19
Level 2
Byron Bay, Australia

Thanks 

I have still had no reply and now this same guest has manipulated the system in some way so that i have recieved a warning

What are my legal rights here ? Would it be better to go to my local police station and make a statement

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@G19 

I an not a lawyer but police will probably file it as a civil case.  Your only real recourse then is Small Claims against the Guest asking to be awarded removal of the false text.  Airbnb can not tell you an address but there are ways to find out.  Sometimes a certified letter ( so you have a positive receipt) nicely bit formally stating you will file don't say nfor what award bam sound threatening,  Offer thou=gh if they contact Airbnb and remove sayn = questionably text you will have no complaint.

Alice1733
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

We have learned the hard way that Airbnb has absolute no interest in protecting its guest or hosts from those on its platform with fraudulent behaviour. We experienced a similar incident where our host fabricated texts from us in order to not only avoid providing a refund for a terrible stay, but to also then remove our review, alleging that we threatened him when we did no such thing. We provided Airbnb with phone logs from our telephone carrier clearly showing we had never texted him, and Airbnb explicitly chose to ignore this evidence and side blindly with the host. Attempts to escalate with customer support led to dead end after dead end. Sad but not surprised to learn we are not the only ones to experience this kind of negligence from Airbnb.