Guest need me to pay money because they are saying money was gone from the room

Jaruwan-Mah0
Level 2
Ko Yao Noi, Thailand

Guest need me to pay money because they are saying money was gone from the room

On the third day guests force me to pay 10,000THB because they are saying I have open their room. I told  them I never open guest room with no allowed and I should have the key because I’m owned this place. I ask them how you can proof me who open your room they said because you have the key and you are the one change the trash bin outside my room. I have ask them and how i can proof your money was stolen here maybe you use on the way from Bangkok to here or used somewhere. They just said I’m lose money here. This situation was report to police as well because they are blaming me right now.

i ask them to leave and will refund the rest of stay but they want stay here and I need to wait until they are check out.

Before last day they came to me again ask me to take responsibility i said I can’t take any responsibility for this how do i know you are loosing money here just because you saying is not enough. Everything depends on police consider 

11 Replies 11
Norma-And-Patrick0
Level 2
Maryland, United States

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I think you are being scammed. I would check the guests previous Airbnb stays and look at the reviews to see if they may have done this before. To protect yourself get small wall safes for each guest room. Mine are screwed into a closet wall and were inexpensive. In your house rules instruct guests to put valuables including passports and jewelry in it. Also your rules should make it clear you are not responsible for guests valuables. You will have a master key but I've only used it when the combination was lost or forgotten and I need to  reset the combination. When my cleaning service comes I leave it up to the guest if they want to have them enter the room and clean. If they want the room cleaned they leave the door open by 9 am so they know to clean it. I have a master key to all rooms but in 15 years have only used it when requested by a guest to look for something, when we smelled something burning and when guests have left windows open during a storm. 

Thank you so much I will follow your suggestion this very helpful 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Jaruwan-Mah0 , welcome to our community 😊

There are many great suggestions from our Hosts in this thread . If you find any of their answers particularly useful, please don't hesitate to mark it as the best answer. You can do this by clicking the button below the comment as shown in the following image:

Paula_0-1717191985266.png

This will help future Hosts with similar questions easily find this conversation.

All the best.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Jaruwan-Mah0 

Have you reported the problem to Airbnb support? Reporting it here is not the same thing, because this is only a forum for hosts to help you. You need to report it to Airbnb Support to get the help of Airbnb staff. Go to the Airbnb Help Center and click on the host tab. Then select the booking that you are having problems with and explain your situation to Airbnb, perhaps they can help.

For the future, you can add a safe as @Norma-And-Patrick0 has suggested. It sounds like a camera at the entrance of the guest door will also help. You should not have cameras inside the guest room, but if you have one outside the door (and mention on Airbnb that you have it) it can help you to prove in future that you did not go inside the room.

Thank you so much for your suggestion I already informed about situation to Airbnb since it happened but I didn’t have camera around that area.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I do hope you didn't give these scammers any money. If a guest is claiming money was stolen you should have advised them to make a police report and claim on their travel insurance.

I didn’t give anything to them and they don’t have travel insurance also I told them to go police station with me but they don’t want after that I ask police to come to their place

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

They are clearly scammers-  it's their problem not yours that they chose not to take out travel insurance. 

what happened in the end? 

They are already checked out and I have got email from airbnb like they already in touch with this guest. And guest  will use a police report and want to claim with air bnb something liked that.  And third party insurance will contacted me again within 3 day

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I thought you said they didn't have travel insurance; did it turn out they took out the Airbnb travel insurance. 

Did they get a police report in the end @Jaruwan-Mah0 

Yes they got police report