How hosts handle items forgotten by guests?

Answered!

How hosts handle items forgotten by guests?

Hi, I’m interested to know, how have other hosts handled forgotten items? I have a pair of boots that were left behind by guests. They had a cross country drive to my house, 35 hours drive time, so I don’t imagine they’ll be swinging back by to pick them up.  I messaged the person who booked the stay, but haven’t heard back. It’s been 3 days.  

[Title updated by Community Manager for relevancy]

1 Best Answer

Thank you for all of the great input!

Update: about two weeks now since guest forgot boots- I messaged day one that they were left at our house and tonight I spoke with the booking guest and asked him, had none of his friends realized they're missing their boots? nice Timberlands left under the table.

Once someone claims them, I'll offer to ship, otherwise when you come to Colorado and have the right sized feet, I have boots in the mudroom for ya!

Krista

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Michael-O-Reilly0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Meenderry, Ireland

Hi @Krista371 ,  i usually text my guests if they have forgotten any items, I had one guest who had  left behind a note book,  she actually thought she had lost it.  She was so relieved that i had contacted her about it, turned out that it was her Personal diary, highlighting all the places she had visited over the years.

Phone chargers are sometimes left behind, again i contact my guests, most don’t  require them but i leave them aside for any future guests, any other items not claimed are donated to the local charity shop. But i would keep the items for a while just to make sure that my guests can if they want arrange pick up or postal delivery to their address.

Thank you

Luciano514
Level 1
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I would keep the boots until they respond the message.

Juana279
Level 2
Batangas, Philippines

I am always informing the guest of whatever they have forgotten in the unit. 

Andry34
Level 3
Plantation, FL

The way I handle forgotten items is by taking photos of the items and sending them to the guest through Airbnb messaging. I coordinate with the guest for them to either pick up the items or have them shipped via a package delivery service, depending on the guest's preference. It's important to keep all communication within the Airbnb platform to have a record of the interaction. Sometimes we've had to ship the items, other times guests have come back to pick them up, and in some cases, they've asked us to dispose of the items. Occasionally, we've kept the items and returned them to the guests during their next stay. I believe the key here is maintaining good communication with the guest.

Best regards,
Andry

Karen4122
Level 1
Fremont, CA

I would message them to see if they want the boots back. If so, mail them. I have had guests offer to pay for shipping.

Stepharn0
Level 2
Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

I would think the best way, is from all the responses, ask them to pay for shipping of the left behind items, if after several weeks and no parcel, you have  to assume they're not interested in getting the items.

Mark4168
Level 3
Hopatcong, NJ

Usually guests leave some food in the refrigerator or socks, I usually just throw them out and clean the room, etc. to set the room up for the next guest.

It depends on the item.  If I arrive at the cabin myself,  and find something,

I call - hoping they are still in the area and can come back and get it. 

My cleaner does not mail anything.  I let the guest know what has been

found and ask if they want me to send it to them (some things can not be 

mailed).  When I have the item in my hands - from the cabin - I mail to them

if they give me their mailing address - and they reimburse me for postage.

Some do not want it - item is trashed - or donated to the local to Salvation Army.

We do not have space to store things.  

Tony-C-0
Level 2
Faraiya, Lebanon

Hello,
I usually call them if the case is not food left in the refrigerator and agree with them what to do. In case they did not reply, I usually send them a message thru AirBnb for records.

It happened once with a couple, where during cleaning, I found a golden ring fallen in the below the couch. I called them and arranged to deliver it midway before they let the country.

Another time, a guest left the suitcase key, and when I called, he landed in London. I gave him the key number, and ask him to ask the british manufacturer to get a new one. It was cheaper and more convenient solution to both of us.

Thank you for sharing your ideas

Thank you for all of the great input!

Update: about two weeks now since guest forgot boots- I messaged day one that they were left at our house and tonight I spoke with the booking guest and asked him, had none of his friends realized they're missing their boots? nice Timberlands left under the table.

Once someone claims them, I'll offer to ship, otherwise when you come to Colorado and have the right sized feet, I have boots in the mudroom for ya!

Krista

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello  @Krista371 and others, you  have done the right and courteous thing by messaging your guest, however it would pay to check what the legislation is in your area as to how long you must keep Lost and Found Items, sometimes it's between 3 and 6 months, for food / perishable items it used to be 48 hours from recall in Hotels and then went to whoever found them or was appropriately disposed of.

Have you considered also telephoning them to touch base as not all users of ABB bother to check their messages for whatever reason?

@Tony-C-0 @Mary-Jane40 @Mark4168 @Stepharn0 

hi @Helen427 , Yes, I messaged when the boots were found, gave it a week, and then spoke on the phone with the guest who booked with me. No one in his group (guests were 6 men) had said anything about forgetting their boots! It might be realized next summer as this is an annual trip for them with ATVs to various mountain or desert locations. They'll be in my mudroom ready to ship if I get an address or waiting for the return of owner.

My guests have mostly been coming to Colorado from other states, (California, Texas, Pennsylvania, Florida, and Wisconsin) so I don't bother holding food items for them. Believe it or not, these boots are the first Lost & Found item at my house.