Guests bringing bicycles

Liz3670
Level 1
Pottsville, AU

Guests bringing bicycles

I had guests this weekend who were competing in a triathlon. When they arrived, they had 2 bicycles, and expected me to have somewhere for them to lock them up - they’re the expensive competition ones that cost over $10,000. Regardless of this, they didn’t let me know prior to coming, and as I have no garage space they expected to bring them into the house. They don’t even have stands, so would have had to lean against the wall. The private room in my home that they were staying in couldn’t accommodate 2 bicycles, and I didn’t want them in the middle of my living room. I ended up finding a spot for them outside, but couldn’t guarantee their safety.  I just wondered what would have been the best way to handle the situation. 

3 Replies 3
Delwyn3
Level 6
Raglan, New Zealand

I have looked at your listing and see you have a nice covered outdoor area.  I would have put the bikes out there and told the guests that they should have asked at time of booking and that you can't be expected to provide a way of locking their bikes up.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why didn't you suggest they left them in your outdoor space @Liz3670 

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Liz3670 

their bikes their responability, dont take on that task, just say you have no place secure enough to protect such item and besides they have to be named as separate item on your insurance to have cover.