Guests dogs ate fire stick possibly and pooped all over

Rena3581
Level 2
Center Moriches, NY

Guests dogs ate fire stick possibly and pooped all over

So I had a guest yesterday who thinks their dog ate a fire stick. He was pooping bloody poop all over the house. They went to bed and woke up to poop everywhere. They did have a dog cage, which to me indicated they knew the dog couldnt be left out unattended. He ate my sheetrock, chewed on a remote. My cleaner cleaned the floors 3 times. After picking up the poop that they left there. He says he cleaned up most of it. But left 5 poops for us to clean. The beds were filthy.. Ive never dealt with something like this before. My current guests said the house smells so bad they want a refund and I cancelled my next guests to go clean the house myself. So now just in rent i've lost $1000 in rent in addition to all the mess I have to fix, possibly even rip up the flooring. I of course feel awful for the dog. He's fine he said, they brought him to the vet he's acting fine now. Being that I've never dealt with something like this I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. 

4 Replies 4
Rena3581
Level 2
Center Moriches, NY

Just to be clear, it was a fire starting stick. Not a fire stick remote. 

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @David12602 😊

Have you managed to find some advice?

I'll mention some Hosts from Italy here who might be able to help you: @Jonathan2534@Greystone0   and @Mary1523 

Thank you in advance everybody for your help!😍

Warm regards, 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

Hi @Rena3581 ,

Oh my! This is terrible for all. And obviously a problem for your business short term.

We accept pets too and have had pee and poop left behind (on carpet and tile flooring) and several scratched wood doors and door frames. Nothing as bad as what you have mentioned here though.

In each case we have had to undertake 'extra' cleaning and/or a repair to fix the damaged door/door frame. On the cleaning side our cleaning team gets a carpet cleaner or steam cleaner to treat the areas.  And we have a handy man who refinishes the damaged door areas. We have made a claim to AIRBNB, provided ample photo evidence and an invoice for the repair/cleaning. Each time the claim was paid by AIRBNB. IF you haven't already you can take steps to make a claim. I believe you can claim the cancelled business as well but AIRBNB support can guide you on how to approach this.

Hopefully you can get all back up to speed without too much additional down time!

Sorry to hear. We don't take dogs but have had some occasional really bad carpet stains.

1) Recommend always having a relationship with a professional cleaning firm beyond your normal cleaner/steam cleaner. They are pros in cleaning all sorts of damage. They can recommend and quote on what to do.

2) Photo and quote and get it into airbnb asap for a claim. The guests need to pay for this. Be professional and courteous to guests understanding the dog situation but they need to responsible for what happened.

3) You may also be able to claim on your own insurance for loss of income given you had to cancel.

4) Do a review on the guests on the 14th day being factual on the cleanliness and that the dog caused issues. It's not your fault that it just happened in your property even if its not normal for the dog. It's the risk that dog owners take when travelling with them. 

5) I'm hoping you didn't get penalised by airbnb for cancelling a booking?

All the best, hopefully you can get back on track quickly and be compensated for most of the remediation. Unfortunately its just bad luck, and sometimes that happens hosting. The cost of doing business....

Regs MK