Guests wants refund due to a spider and cricket.

Guests wants refund due to a spider and cricket.

I had a guest check-in this weekend at 4pm and 8 hours later they complained of a giant (tiny) spider on the ceiling and several cockroaches which was in fact actually one cricket. They killed the creatures and left and demanded a refund. They didn't reach out to me to solve the issue and of course Air BNB is on their side.  I'm probably just going to have to accept it and be thankful it was only a 1 night stay.  But I'm obviously not happy. I thought with aircover they had to complain on check-in not hours later. I live in a rural location, just opening doors can let insects in and I've never had an issue like this before.

What's going to happen next. A fly on the wall justifies a refund?

This was also was a last minute booking with a guest with no reviews. I probably should of known better!

This is the response from Air BNB. 

Airbnb Support8:58 AM
I understand this is not the outcome you were hoping for. I want to reiterate that this decision was made after careful review of all documentation and communication from both parties, and is in alignment with our policies and procedures.

I know that sometimes there are environmental impact that may affect your guest stay. Kindly understand that there are policies and procedures that we need to follow.

Those insects may not be there when your guest check in, or they may have not noticed it. Per policy your guest should to report the issue to host or Airbnb within 72 hours of discovering it.

Your guest met the requirements of our Aircover policy. Therefore, she's eligible for full refund.

The payout for this reservation will be adjusted from your future payouts. This cancellation will not affect your Superhost status.

Please feel free to reach out by responding to this message and I’ll be delighted to help you with anything else.
3 Replies 3
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Naomi40 

Thats a joke what can you do about the environment where you live? in this day and age guest are able to fully research the area they are going to,

Good job they dont come to Thailand we have everything and we live on an Island where most of it is still a jungle, 

We have had people mention things but only one try to get a refund because we dont have any Sidewalks as Americans say, 

Every house on this island has Gecko's what can I do it's their home as well, 

We just tell them Welcome to Thailand,

I have to leave instructions, not to leave food lying around overnight either put it back in the fridge or wrap it up and throw it away in the bin,

I've had people ask me about Snakes, Do I have to ask the snakes not to come anywhere near my property? 

We always tell guest you have to learn to live in Asia, Dont take can's of coke to bed with you, it will be covered in ants because of the sugar, when you see snakes on the move they are looking for food.

Same with cockroaches they are looking for food, 

It should be mentioned in the property description that insects are sometimes found inside the property. There are nonchemical things you should have in place to discourage spiders and insects.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Naomi40  oh no they don't!

so you need to ask to see the policies and rules they are referring to. no they cannot close the case.

they've spent "a lot of time" reviewing the case, but didn't ask you about it? no, they cannot close the case
do not back down. also, if your CS person is in a remote location like the phillipines, you can appeal to their common sense that this is ridiculous. 

also, why is Aircover being funded out of the host's earnings
I'd ask to see the written policy that says Aircover is actually funded by hosts, and not airbnb.