Have had a perfect 5* rating until now, got a 4*, will I ever get back to being a 5* star?

Have had a perfect 5* rating until now, got a 4*, will I ever get back to being a 5* star?

I´ve hosted all perfect 5 stars (about 12), until now, a super good review (go figure) gave me a 4*. Now i´m 4.9*

Will it ever be possible to go back to 5*?

Is 99.9% 5*- 0.1% 4 stars still count as 4*?

Will I be inperfect forever? haha...

How does this work?

106 Replies 106
Max1556
Level 2
Seattle, WA

#roundup airbnb... 4.9999 should be 5

Philip2601
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

I feel like a median-based review score instead of an average-based review score would fix everything. But since AirBnB wants a decimal system they should just remove the top 1/5 and bottom 1/5 reviews. The score calculated based on the rest would be representative of the experience.

Now that sounds like an intelligent idea.  

Freya26
Level 2
Hurst Green, United Kingdom

The stars on my stats page shows 4.9, but the public page says 4.85...??

Claudio756
Level 2
Camborne, United Kingdom

Gutted was very proud of my 74....knock out 5* reviews, now it's gone forever LOL oh well, life must go on, I suppose the good thing is, it's taken the pressure off trying to get to 5000 bookings of 5* reviews, her review was wonderful so who knows why the 5*. I have contacted her actually asking how I can improve, only because I had a nightmare about it last night, it's true, HAHAHA, I'll get over it!

Sarah3171
Level 2
Olympic Valley, CA

@Mariana313 , I'm thankful to see your post from 2018 and to read all the comments... I rarely rent as my place is my full time residence, but felt proud of my 5 star status for the 8 renters I've had. Until yesterday. A renter rated 4.9 on cleanliness, 5 on everything else. This was painful to see as I'm a cleanliness freak! Oh well. Ironically, she'd like to rent again next month. And so it goes... 

@Sarah3171  There is no such thing as a guest rating 4.9. They can only rate using whole numbers, so you are confusing something. 

Maybe 4.9 is your average cleanliness rating?

A renter rated 4** on cleanliness, 5 on everything else.

So good to read this, just happened to me aswell,  before the guest moved in it was sparklingggg, after … not so much especially the wc!!!!!

I went one step further and asked the guest for detail so that I may improve …. No response.

I shall let it go ….. eventually:)

As an update… I spent around 6 months with a perfect 5. I got a 4 and could never get my average above 4.95.

3 years later  I’m around 4.9, my life as a host is soooo much easier, I don’t fall apart if I get a 4 or eventually a 3. I’ve come to learn, as long as I stay above 4.85, I’m happy, fully booked, not stressed out, and willing to stand up fir the little things, like asking for lost key fees, etc… not a slave anymore. Doing my job and enjoying it. Don’t be afraid to loose your 5* absurd status ! 

Same experience. We were sad that we lost our 5-star status for no reason but after reading this thread, yes, it is absurd. We felt free and won't feel that bad. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I love that attitude. 

Thanks for the update! I've been hosting 3 years a still get annoyed at an unfair low star. But at the end of the day I see some incredibly popular Airbnbs with way lower ratings. I think what is most important is putting energy into your photos and relations with the guests so they want to come back. Happy hosting!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mariana313 @Anonymous would be proud of you not bending to Airbnb's control. 

Ellen364
Level 2
Copenhagen, Denmark

A very happy guest gave me 4 stars by mistake. She did not mean to, and was terribly sorry, it had happened (perhaps a computer lag or bug), but airbnb would not change it. So now I am probably stuck forever below 5. I have figured out that it will be faster to delete the listing and start anew than to try to get my rating back to 5.