Host asking for ID driver's license for my entire party

Answered!
Jennifer2827
Level 2
Orlando, FL

Host asking for ID driver's license for my entire party

My host is asking for the driver's license of everyone in my party (4 people). It is unusual and makes me concerned, as I have never had this request before. Is this legit?

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

When it comes to guests verifying their identity, this Help Center article details when and if it is appropriate: What a Host may ask you for

It is dependant on local laws or may be a requirement in a Hosts house rules to see a form of ID at the point of check-in.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

67 Replies 67

@Marie8425 honestly ,if I went to Test drive a porsche I sure as hell would not be allowed access without ID , so why on earth would anyone think its okay for others unknown to not show Id to the owner of often very valuable homes. It is always lovely to assume that all guests are perfect but time will tell this is not so and on that day when the police are called and four guests have turned into forty and they all scamper away , then who is responsible?Mr No one . thats who....these are not hotels which can be watched all the time by security ,they are peoples personal homes and those owners have the right to the security involved in knowing 'who is in their home , both for communication reasons and for hosting reasons ... H

I have no problem showing my I.D. to the host myself, just like your analogy with Porsche. Scanning and sending it online is what I am so uncomfortable about.

@Eleanore4 ?I think that is easily clarified with the host because honestly that is probably all that is requested ,few hosts have a scanner... ? and they do not set up their homes and go to all the trouble of hosting to scam ids.. they could do that anywhere ... H

I hear you.

The new paranoia. Encountered my self and declined.

If a host is so paranoid, then they should not offer AirBnB! No body forces anyone to play host.

"Credit card, scan & send ID, make a selfie, strip naked and send copies of your bank accounts" and whatever else. All when scam & scammer are rampant and more and more sophisticated.

A good elderly friend of my got harassed in this way by Mint House [Hotel] in Dallas prior to arrival and check-in but after having booked and paid online. A firm statement that they "did not disclose that beforehand constitutes a breach of agreement" settled the absurd demand quickly.

Suddenly my friend could check -in without all that ridiculous jazz.

At the end when you end up with a data breach and ID theft and have no clue from where and how it happened they shrug their shoulders like innocent pure virgins  and give you a California style slacker WDGAS "Sorry about that" answer.

However, everyone is happy to sell you thereafter ID protection and bombard you with in all ways with any other jazz to "get at your wallet". I'm so disgusted with all this I can't express it! I lived in a former East Bloc country, East Germany. even there it wasn't that crazy bad.

Best of luck!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

When it comes to guests verifying their identity, this Help Center article details when and if it is appropriate: What a Host may ask you for

It is dependant on local laws or may be a requirement in a Hosts house rules to see a form of ID at the point of check-in.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

It's understandable to have concerns when a host asks for everyone's driver's licenses in your party. While it's not common, some hosts may have their reasons, such as security or verification.
To ensure the legitimacy of this request, you could consider reaching out to the host directly and politely inquire about the purpose behind it. It's always a good idea to communicate openly to address any concerns you may have.
If you want to learn more about situations like these or have questions about IDs, you can find helpful information at** Take care and enjoy your stay!

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center.

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Jennifer2827 

As an airbnb guest myself, I would rather go places asking for my IDs than those that don’t ask. 

I had a guest who has a pending felony charge (rape) and if we didn’t ask guests for IDs we wouldn’t know. He had 15 plus 5 star reviews. 

As a result, we never had a single crime for all the listings we host for years. no drugs no party and no prostitution issues.. 

Do it if you are asked for IDs and it means you are into a place that has better screen for crimes. 

Lisette82
Level 2
Whittier, CA

I’m currently hosting a nightmare guest who booked under another profile. The problem is that people cancel their phone service and phone companies recycle that number, so that’s all someone needs to log in to Airbnb and book under a different profile. They should require 2 step verification with email or password. I thought I was hosting someone else. They listed 2 people and 1 pet for 5 days. I found out they have at least 8 dogs, they bring them out a few at a time so most likely there are more. They discharged a firearm already and are trying to sell puppies from my home, bringing sketchy people to the neighborhood. None of this was disclosed to me. They have been locked out of the account they used to book but have reached out via their actual account claiming there was a mixup.

They’ve been claiming that the mixup has been fixed and provided an email from Airbnb for proof. To me it seems that I’m being told something different than what Airbnb is telling them.  Airbnb has not been much help, other than sending me payment. Getting them to call me in this incredibly stressful and confusing situation is a nightmare. It seems like the different departments don’t communicate and this is not easy to explain via texts.
I wish I would have confirmed guest names and in the future will be asking for this and for proof of Id before check-in.