Hosting with a shared pool

Sari575
Level 2
Quarryville, PA

Hosting with a shared pool

Hello,

I have been hosting guests in an apartment in our barn-like structure on our property where we live for almost 15 years. We are in the process of installing an in-ground  pool in our back yard. Part of the yard is considered shared and part is not, the pool will be on our side of things, but close to them. We don't mind having it as a shared pool, but want to retain it as our pool that we allow guests to use at our discretion. Any suggestions how to handle this? Should we not even have it on our listing? List it but have a way of stating there will only be certain times, along with a fee? I'm open to suggestions!!

Thank You!! 

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If you are comfortable with the increased liability of a pool used by guests, you can list it as an amenity and add the restrictions to access.  Under Booking settings, rules, amenity limitations.

It would be important to reinforce the limitation, especially during a time the guest might see the pool as a very desireable feature, like summer.  During the booking process, reiterate the limit and have the guest agree with it.  Otherwise a disappointed guest is not going to enjoy the stay and the review will reflect it.

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

i would say don't include the pool on the description. When you meet the guest, if you like them you can always invite them to the pool. Something extra that is not included, like some hosts that on occasion like to invite the guests to have dinner with them.

And if you want to charge for the use of the pool you can send a message like "Hey, we are making the pool available for guests this weekend, as it is an extra we are charging a small fee, let me know if you are interested"

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Sari575  I would guess having access to a pool would make your listing more desirable.  However, you will need to think through very carefully the how, when, how long, and all other details related to how guests would be able to use the pool, and also review whatever safety security issues would surround allowing guests to use a pool.

You can always try it as a listed feature and if you find it is too much trouble, you can remove it and not allow guest access.