Hosts can't control if children and infants stay at your listing

Susie0
Level 10
Oakland, CA

Hosts can't control if children and infants stay at your listing

This 10 year host and shareholder has had it...potentially I could never get sleep having to listen to infants every night if I were to follow the Airbnb policy. Per their customer service:

While I understand that your house rules state that the place is "Not suitable for children and infants", this does not mean that you are exempted from hosting reservations with children and infants.

In fact, refusing a reservation purely because of the presence of children and infants is against Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy. Hosts may not impose any different terms or conditions or decline a reservation based on the guest’s age or familial status, where prohibited by law. Hosts can disclose, as a heads-up, that their listing is "Not suitable for children and infants", but it is up to the parents to bring their children or infants with them.

---

My listing is now snoozed for 6 months on the road to being deactivated. 

18 Replies 18
Lynn1359
Level 2
Jamestown, TN

We live on the edge of a canyon!  And there is an eight foot wall behind our house. If someone falls they may/probably will die!  A parent would be unable to catch a young child in time. I have had the same response.  “We’ll watch them.”  Someone snuck a three year old in at 9:30 PM and they are still here!!!          They leave tomorrow. My booking states no children in capital letters. It’s a serious problem.  Next time I will ask them to leave instantly, regardless of what time I realize there is a child. I will leave AirB&B before I have another child here. 

Stephanie1933
Level 10
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Lynn1359  how annoying! I bet if their child got hurt, they would blame you! smh

@Stehanie1933 of course they would

Dave1095
Level 2
Launceston, Australia

We've had the same issue. We have a 3 bedroom house that is suitable for children, but our apartments are heavily sound proofed between the two but if you have a toddler running on the floor upstairs that can be heard downstairs - not loud but annoying. And a 4 month old baby can get through walls.

So we do host where appropriate but it's so annoying that we have to decline 2-3 guests per month and airbnb won't do anything about it. In most cases the guests are really understanding of us once we explain to them that we hate saying no, but it's a complete waste of time for them and us to have to go through the whole thing every week or so!