How To Review Guest Who Took all Snacks And Drinks

Patricia3334
Level 7
Tennessee, United States

How To Review Guest Who Took all Snacks And Drinks

I allow 1 night stays and I just had a guest (one night) take all the complimentary drinks from the fridge (between 6 to 8. I didn't count.) and all the snacks and fruit. They were all more than he could eat and drink in a night unless he was literally starving and had nothing else to eat and drink. I find it rude and tacky. That is not what they are there for. They are complimentary!

Can I refuse to host him again? Should I say something in the review?

I know this is not a big theft monetarily but I do not put out snacks and drinks for 1 guest to take all of them home. I spend a lot of money on coffee, a nice tea selection, International delight creamers, hot cocoa selection, a selection of snack bars and fresh fruit as well as sodas in the fridge and some guests leave drinks themselves. 

I do not want him back for fear he'll steal something more next time. Also, it's tacky and rude.  

I don't want to get a bad review from him but I want other hosts to know what to expect.

59 Replies 59
Patricia3334
Level 7
Tennessee, United States

I like to give choices as it's impossible to know what someone will like or dislike but I may need to limit what I leave out or just deal with it. SMH

You will never be able to put out enough of a selection to satisfy everyone. The fact you put some things out should be enough.

Consider coffee. There are literally hundreds of varieties of coffee and people are very particular about their coffees. Can you realistically provide every flavor of coffee? Of course not. So you put out 1-2 popular flavors and if the guests drink them? Great. If not, you made the effort.

Like you, I'm in a lower price point (below $100) so there's realistically only so much you can provide before the Law of Diminishing Returns kicks in and you spend more than you would make. While we are in the hospitality business, we're still a business and not a charity. We need to cover our expenses AND pay ourselves for our time and effort.

Patricia3334
Level 7
Tennessee, United States

I want to thank all of you for this discussion. As I said in one post I've only been open for about 6 months and am still learning. This may seem like a small thing but I do my own cleaning and have about 5 loads of laundry for each stay as I change sheets, quilts , throws, small rugs and put fresh towels (of course) with each guest. It all adds up with water, electricity, laundry soap, fabric softener, cleaning supplies, etc. I charge under $75 a night and add on a cleaning fee to cover expenses. So, $5 of snacks adds up. Overall, I feel an Airbnb is a wonderful option to a hotel which feel cold and impersonal and I KNOW they don't give you a fresh blanket or quilt with each new guest. lol

@Patricia3334 

I sure get it about the 5 loads of laundry between guests, and we are in a serious drought here. We scrub like crazy and replaced things regularly, because our standards are very high. Utilities are a real expense, as are repairs and replacements. Every little thing has to work, and be safe. We started in the hospitality business in 1972, and are still learning. If we ever think we've "got it", we'll soon get a surprise of some sort. 

We provide about $12 in fresh food for guests, in the fridge, plus coffees, teas, hot chocolate, local chocolate candy. And things like locally handmade soaps. We are also 12 miles from town in the mountains, so we provide a lot of food for guests. Most don't use much, some nothing. If someone occasionally uses more than expected, it all balances out, imho. 

I so understand and feel so bad for the state. CA is in a serious drought which sure makes it a rough place especially for hospitality. That is a lot of fresh food. What do you provide fresh? 

I do wrapped protein and energy bars as well as sodas and fresh fruit according to how many people will be staying.  Then of course coffee, teas, hot cocoa, creamers, etc. 

@Patricia3334 

I provide granola, milk, non dairy milk, yogurts, bottled craft sodas, fruit juice, chocolates. In the pantry are a variety of teas (international - some bags and some loose leaf, also herbal), coffees (whole beans, ground beans, drip sachets, decaf, and several instants), hot chocolates, and all the gadgets for making the beverages. When our orchard is producing we share the fruit, and grapes from our vines. If the guests wish, they can choose and pick as part of the fun of staying here. We live here, and we assure guests that if there is anything they find lacking please ask. We most likely have it in our own pantry. We are far from town, so we do our best to allow guests to just stay and relax here. That's what it is all about. 

It sounds like staying at your house would be a joyous occasion! Do you lock your bedroom door at night?!

I may start supplying granola and a pint of milk. I have a selection of herbal and caffeinated Bigelow teas in sealed packets with organic sugar and Lavazza Italian coffee with International Delight mini creamers. I may start supplying mini moos, too, which is real cream.  I have granola bars and fresh fruit to welcome guests. I put a couple flavors of mini cans of sodas in the fridge. I have a grocery store 2 minutes away but I think when folks get in late they like snack or tea or coffee and want to relax.

PS. I don't supply bottled water bc they are so bad for the environment but I supply a Brita water filter pitcher.

OM gosh!  It's a show place in an incredible location!

@Patricia3334 

Thank you! It is home and it demands to be shared. 

Please tell me which hummingbird feeders you use. First I had one that rusted at the ports so I bought a plastic one. That one leaked on my deck so I bought a handmade glass piece but the hummers don't seem to like it much. Help!

@Patricia3334 

We use Big Gulp feeders. In the photo, that's what you are seeing. It is vital to change the nectar solution daily in warm weather, and to scrupulously scrub the feeders to as close to surgical cleanliness as possible. Sugar solution is perfect for quickly growing bacteria, molds, and fungi, all of which can easily kill those little birds who trust us to keep them safe. 

Thank you!

Well, I only get a few birds here in Tennessee so I purchased the 10 ounce Ruby style. It looks like no rusting and hopefully no leaking. Thank you so much!

@Patricia3334 

I suggest you fill the feeder with only an inch or two of the boiled nectar mixture. Only provide what they will consume in a day, or risk it spoiling. If you have a hummingbird garden, filled with flowers they love, you don't need to feed them. They also require a lot of protein, so they catch and eat the flying insects in the garden. The lack of insects when it gets cold seems to trigger migration, here.