How do I remove a slanderous review

Elizabeth290
Level 3
Bryn Mawr, PA

How do I remove a slanderous review

I just had a guest check out who left a nasty review.  Amongst other untruths, she stated that my husband is creepy, and that we watch our guests.  Untrue!  

All my other reviews are 5 star, and this review changes that and makes us look really bad.  How can I get it taken down?

Please help!

137 Replies 137
Duane25
Level 2
Paris, France

Hi Elizabeth,

Your situation is typically "He says, they say". I feel for you but you cannot prove anything. And there is some base truth in the guest's saying (your husband coming unexpectedly).

However Airbnb needs to do something about slanderous reviews, when we can objectively prove that the guest's allegations are false.
Recently a heavyset guest didn't feel at ease in my studio, which is small and adapted for slim persons (it is said tactfully in my listing, but it is clearly said). She wrote that "You must move the table to attach the ladder for the bed. When you do this you either block the refrigerator or the path to the toilet or the exit door." This is preposterous and untrue. This is not subjective, it is a pure lie and it can be proved with the plan of the studio.
Airbnb didn't accept to remove the review, invoking the "right to depict individualized experience".

How could we, hosts, force Airbnb to change its policy when it can be objectively proved that reviews are false? If people have similar slanderous reviews which can be proved untrue, I'm ready to gather our indisputable concerns and lead the charge. 
Thanks for reading, best to all.

Duane listing 

I'm also dealing with a slanderous review that Airbnb refuses to remove. It clearly breaks so many violations in its content policy and review policy. 

On top of that, the guest broke several house rules and Airbnb hasn't done anything to help.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Summer158 

Summer, you never get into a verbal fist-fight with a guest.....period!

Britinee's  review was not great....particularly the reference  to 'African American'....trying to drag out the race card thing.

But responding the way you did didn't do you any favours!

You must always retain the high moral ground.....say something short like, "I am sorry if we did not live up to Britinee's expectations but we try our best for our guests and I feel our other reviews  will give a more accurate picture of what we offer than Britinee's. Sorry Britinee we will try to do better next time" 

Summer, I have learned over the years that your reviews do the talking for you. I have over 500 Airbnb reviews and if someone wants to cane me for some aspect of my listing, go ahead, be my guest! If a guest gives me a 3 star for cleanliness when 472 guests have given me a 5 star who do you think we are going to believe......that one guest or the other 472!

It sort of makes that guest look like a bit of an idiot and not the sort of guest other hosts would want to host.

Summer, guests are going to break house rules, they are going to give poor reviews, we as hosts need to rise above that, show that we do deserve that Superhost badge that the rest of our guests have given us!

Summer, put it in perspective, girl!

Cheers......Rob