How do you go about this? When someone makes a booking enquiry but you need for information from them

Answered!
Catherine468
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

How do you go about this? When someone makes a booking enquiry but you need for information from them

Hi all, I am not on instant book, and I have an enquiry from someone with no previous reviews who is among a party of four. Airbnb is prompting me to pre-approve or decline them but I haven't got all the information I require yet. 

They asked about transport links to London, I replied with details and asked the person (nicely!) to briefly give the reason for their visit and say who is coming with them if they wish to go ahead and book. (I've had a previous bad experience with damage to my flat from someone with no previous reviews.)

They haven't got back to me yet and I am supposed to approve or decline. I don't want to be  penalised for declining them so what do I do if they simply don't answer me? 

Thanks in advance.

Top Answer
Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Catherine468 

If you are seeing a "pre-approve" button then the guest has sent you en enquiry rather than a request to book which is great because in this instance it means that by replying to their first message you have done your job and the Airbnb algorithm will take into account the speed with which you replied to that first message in a 24 hour window.  All subsequent messaging to and fro doesn't count in your statistics. The heat is off!

The confusing part is that you continue to receive messages from Airbnb to approve, decline or pre-approve but if you need more time to message, then this is fine and you can continue messaging/waiting until your guests change their enquiry to a booking or decide not to book.  

With a request trip from a guest, there are only two options for you - approve or decline with a 24 hour window which is sometimes difficult as you don't always have all the information needed to approve within this short time frame especially if there is a different time zone involved.

Let us know how you get on,

Joëlle

View Top Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Catherine468 

Is it an inquiry or a request? They require very different actions from us.

A request to book requires an approval or denial. An inquiry requires a response only,  as you've done with the information/conversation. 

With our home, we get mostly requests to book. When we get an Inquiry it is usually from someone who has important questions about suitability of the place or their particular needs.

I, too, require the names of everyone who would be staying, which satisfies several  needs on my part. With an inquiry and with a request we hosts have a golden opportunity to answer those questions, as you did - and thus assist them in determining whether our homes will satisfy their needs. We also can engage in those conversations that give us a better feel for our guests. For us, that is a real assist in helping them with their goals for the stay, and to share with them the variety of resources in the areas they are visiting. If these prospectives don't respond to your questions, it would be safe to guess that they are looking elsewhere. 

Thanks so much for reassuring me Kitty. I like to know who is staying at my apartment and the reason for their visit. Especially if they have no previous reviews. 

Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Catherine468 

If you are seeing a "pre-approve" button then the guest has sent you en enquiry rather than a request to book which is great because in this instance it means that by replying to their first message you have done your job and the Airbnb algorithm will take into account the speed with which you replied to that first message in a 24 hour window.  All subsequent messaging to and fro doesn't count in your statistics. The heat is off!

The confusing part is that you continue to receive messages from Airbnb to approve, decline or pre-approve but if you need more time to message, then this is fine and you can continue messaging/waiting until your guests change their enquiry to a booking or decide not to book.  

With a request trip from a guest, there are only two options for you - approve or decline with a 24 hour window which is sometimes difficult as you don't always have all the information needed to approve within this short time frame especially if there is a different time zone involved.

Let us know how you get on,

Joëlle

Thanks Joelle, this is very helpful information. 

Just want to say thanks again, this is great information! 

Sophia
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Catherine468, I hope you're well 😊. I was wondering how you got on with the above situation? Did you take on board any of the suggestions that was kindly shared by @Joelle43  and @Kitty-and-Creek0

Best wishes,
Sophia 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yes, I got the information I was looking for, thank you Sophia. I have replied to all who messaged me. I couldn't reply at the time as I'd had a procedure on my hand and couldn't write at all for a while! Many thanks

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

As long as you reply to an inquiry it's fine you don't need to accept or decline @Catherine468 

thank you Helen, this is exactly the information I was looking for.