How far should a host go to help a guest

Rachel2991
Level 2
Twin Lake, MI

How far should a host go to help a guest

I have a handicapped “friendly” AirBnb. A guest booked last minute and had a paralyzed person in a wheelchair accompanying. They had an accompanying aid but couldn’t get him transferred to the bed without help so they called me (at 10:30 pm). I gave them some medical contacts and the number to the fire department to call, which were all unable to assist apparently. I ended up helping to lift and lower him (in the middle of the night) and now they say they can’t leave my rental even though check out was almost two hours ago (I have other guests coming) without my help again. How far should a guest have to go in this situation? I’d love some opinions from other experienced hosts with disability friendly places please. Thanks in advance!

16 Replies 16

I have, @Paula, and am very grateful for the help that others have generously provided. This was an interesting situation that I had never encountered before. Their late departure caused significant difficulties for me as I had another guest due to arrive with not enough time to prepare and did not know what the appropriate reaction would be from a professional perspective. I’d love to know what AirBnb advises, besides the avoidance of liability in helping the guests more than expected. I would have seriously inconvenienced the arrival of my next guest had I not hired extra cleaning help to get it done on time due to their late check out, which took all of the profit that I would have made from this particular reservation.

@Rachel2991 

In this case for the Guest it wasn't truly about seeking help.  Disabled persons and their caretakers unlike the average person are quite aware of liability.  More from the positive side if a professional twist my leg as opposed to the man on the street I am covered by the insurance they are required to carry.  If the person providing assistance because of my disability needs does not have required insurance and they twist their leg, the disabled person is liable.

New to you but drilled into the disabled person and caretakers heads by doctors, social workers, and insurance companies.