Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

How far should a host go to help a guest

Rachel2991
Level 2
Twin Lake, MI

How far should a host go to help a guest

I have a handicapped “friendly” AirBnb. A guest booked last minute and had a paralyzed person in a wheelchair accompanying. They had an accompanying aid but couldn’t get him transferred to the bed without help so they called me (at 10:30 pm). I gave them some medical contacts and the number to the fire department to call, which were all unable to assist apparently. I ended up helping to lift and lower him (in the middle of the night) and now they say they can’t leave my rental even though check out was almost two hours ago (I have other guests coming) without my help again. How far should a guest have to go in this situation? I’d love some opinions from other experienced hosts with disability friendly places please. Thanks in advance!

18 Replies 18

I have, @Paula, and am very grateful for the help that others have generously provided. This was an interesting situation that I had never encountered before. Their late departure caused significant difficulties for me as I had another guest due to arrive with not enough time to prepare and did not know what the appropriate reaction would be from a professional perspective. I’d love to know what AirBnb advises, besides the avoidance of liability in helping the guests more than expected. I would have seriously inconvenienced the arrival of my next guest had I not hired extra cleaning help to get it done on time due to their late check out, which took all of the profit that I would have made from this particular reservation.

@Rachel2991 

In this case for the Guest it wasn't truly about seeking help.  Disabled persons and their caretakers unlike the average person are quite aware of liability.  More from the positive side if a professional twist my leg as opposed to the man on the street I am covered by the insurance they are required to carry.  If the person providing assistance because of my disability needs does not have required insurance and they twist their leg, the disabled person is liable.

New to you but drilled into the disabled person and caretakers heads by doctors, social workers, and insurance companies. 

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Rachel2991 

You are obviously a nice person you assisted the Guest at great lengths.

Try to remember becoming disabled doesn't mean you were given a pure heart.

If they had a heart like yours, they wouldn't have asked someone not used to it to help lift a minimum adult weight 100 lbs.

If I go to the hospital for a test, they have it but they don't just send 5 people trained to lift me.  Accidents to both parties could occur.

They use what is called a sling device.  A small but motorized sling that safely transfer me.

The Guests would have been given the names of places to stay that have that type of device.

A piece of medical equipment isn't cheap. Then there is maintenance, insurance and training of proper use.

The proper rentals because of higher costs are significantly higher priced then your rental.

You had a Guest who because they wanted to save money made a conscious choice to put you in a very potentially financial or physical damage.position.  The Guest was aware you didn't know.  Someone educated the disabled person and their caretakers, because they didn't know.  The Guest made a conscious decision to not share knowledge and take advantage of someone's lack of knowledge for the savings for a 1 night stay.

@Rachel2991 

Your question is not mean spirited or greedy. 

The Guest deciding to put a person they don't know in a position of having the question is a mean spirited greedy Guest.