Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

How to deal with a nasty and mean guest if she books your listing

How to deal with a nasty and mean guest if she books your listing

I ran into a reservation which was booked by a very mean and nasty guest.  The minute when she checked in, she gave me a hard time and accused me for everything.  I have a brand newly renovated house, almost everything were brand new and all my past guests were so impressed and happy having their stay here. However, this guest complained about everything.  and took everything for granted. They even complained the noise from the shower in the bathroom from a neighboring room. They refused to respect my housing rules, refused to use the dryer I prepared for the guests and used the dryer for myself use.  They always either left the fans or the lights in the bathroom on after they used it. Though I turned it off, they immediately turned it back on during the whole day and night. 

I knew from the first night that this guest would give me trouble.  So I called Airbnb to request a cancellation on them. However Airbnb suggested I take their reservation because I am working towards a super host.  I thought if I continue to treat them nicely, they will appreciate it eventually. On their 2nd night, they built a case that my house had pests, and requested cancellation. I was happy that they can leave asap. So I agreed to refund them but all my concern was about their potential bad review from them on me. The night before they checked out, I said goodbye to them and wished them all the best. This morning, I helped them with their luggage and said bye to them again.

As I expected, she left a back review right after she checked out this morning.   What do I need to do now? I really want to write them a review, I wish all hosts to be careful with these guests.  But if I write a negative review of her, I am not able to ask Airbnb to remove her review to me, correct?

And in the future, what can we do if we run into a nasty and mean guest like her? 

1 Reply 1
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Rebecca1945  Ok, let's start at the beginning. She was an ogre and already left a review. True to form, she probably left a bad review. You should write a review so you can publicly respond to hers; when it goes public, which is when you write yours or when 14 days have passed.

You had the unfortunate luck to stumble on a headcase, happens, it is a matter of numbers. Thus far you have 25 good reviews, so let those illuminate the fact that this was a 'special' case and who you really are - a good host (and normal!).

And whether you write her a good or bad review it will not change what she already wrote, so you might as well be honest, for the sake of your fellow hosts. She won't be in your Christmas card list anyway.

Now, IF she did write some weird review (the crazier, the better) those are easy to make light off and dismiss. Important to keep yours short and 'sweet', make it easy for those potential future guests reading about your place to dismiss hers as an outlier and that is indeed coming from someone from out of space, they will. You make sure you come across well (and cool). Really, it is that simple.

P.S. Oh, and what you say in your review really has no bearing what you can then ask of Airbnb.

P.S. #2 Oftentimes we learn more from such guests; in this case, once she started with the lunacy perhaps in the future you will immediately say - "Ok, this is not going to work. Let me find you another place". Dial Airbnb for ASAP 'space-cadet' removal. 😁