How to detect cats and dogs

Answered!
Danny622
Level 2
Port St Lucie, FL

How to detect cats and dogs

I have been listing my personal home while crashing with family for 2 months now. In between guest, I prefer to spend my time at home, like they say, there's no place like home. Since hosting,  I've had guest threaten me, try and sneak up to 12 on a reservation for 4, and even fabricate lies in an attempt to get their reservation for free. The biggest problem I've faced however, are guest who bring their dogs or cats when I clearly state no pets! I have typical allergies to both cats and dogs, but the part that makes it hard for me is the headache and nausea caused by the smell of their poop. Guest have repeatedly snuck in dogs, and failed to properly clean up after them. The worst part is that even though I have mopped my house several times, I cant pin point where exactly to annihilate the residue and smell.

What would be the best way to detect when guest have brought a pet? are there bark sensors or any tools/tricks that can help me detect them sooner? Please and thankyou!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The best way to detect pets and extra guests is to meet guests on check in/have CCTV. @Danny622 

Is it clear on your house rules on those who have booked can stay at that any visitors not on the booking will be asking to leave immediately.

What vetting questions are you asking your guests when they book to ensure a good fit.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The best way to detect pets and extra guests is to meet guests on check in/have CCTV. @Danny622 

Is it clear on your house rules on those who have booked can stay at that any visitors not on the booking will be asking to leave immediately.

What vetting questions are you asking your guests when they book to ensure a good fit.

@Danny622 

@Helen3  has offered excellent suggestions. Vetting is vital, in my experience. I've another to consider. Have you thought of becoming a "rooms" host? A home share where you are in residence? From my own experience, and from reading many years of these questions, it is a valid thing to consider. These situations rarely if ever happen when the host is in residence. 

Best wishes to you and your hosting experience.