Is it a good idea to talk to guests after filing a claim?

Teresa2271
Level 1
Santa Clarita, CA

Is it a good idea to talk to guests after filing a claim?

Hi, my recent guest denied my claim for extra cleaning fees and damages done to the property. They want to talk on the phone and are adamant about not paying. Is it a good idea to talk to them or should I just allow the photos/evidence to speak for themselves and request Airbnb to step in from here? Their messages through the app are getting quite heated and I'd rather Airbnb handle it from this point but do I need to try to resolve it with them first before asking for Airbnb support? I honestly do not want to engage. I have already filed a claim, they denied it, and now hoping I can just ask Airbnb to step in. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

1 Reply 1
Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Teresa2271 ,

You filed a claim and contacted the guest, who refused to pay. That’s it. Now, contact Airbnb, and they will handle it from here. If you’re in the right, Airbnb will either collect payment from the guest or compensate you directly.

Do not communicate with the guest any further, especially not over the phone. Keep all communication within Airbnb’s platform so everything is recorded, and Airbnb can access the messages.

It’s only money, and phone conversations can escalate in ways you don’t want. Also, hosts and guests sometimes make side deals (e.g., pay 50% and don’t write a review), but these agreements are often unreliable—once trust is broken, one party might not follow through.

This is my opinion, though I know others have communicated with guests, and it worked out for them. Lucky for them. Confrontation isn’t for everyone. Stick to the protocol. Contact Airbnb as soon as possible and let them take it from there.