It has been reported to me that my guest is smoking pot in his room, I am a first time host and he has another month or so to go how do I deal with this?

Answered!
Lorna251
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

It has been reported to me that my guest is smoking pot in his room, I am a first time host and he has another month or so to go how do I deal with this?

Hi I am a first time host and my guest has been reported to me by others in the house that he is smoking pot in his room, they have said that he is not closing the door property and there is now a lingering smell in the hallway.  He has been there a month and has another month to go.  I have not been in this position and do not know what to do.  I have no smoking signs in the house and in his room.  any advice would be appreciated as to what to do next

1 Best Answer
Lorna251
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi I have not left it a month, I contacted airbnb and put up this post the first time I heard about it.  Thank you to everyone that has offered advice, I have been to see the tenant and check his room but could not tell if he had been smoking as the room smelt so highly of aftershave (I think he had a big spray just before I arrived) but he has been given a warning so hopefully it will resolve itself now

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Lorna251 Sorry to hear about your situation. It looks like the "no smoking" rule is clearly stated in your listing as well as in your home. Every guest that books your accommodation is agreeing to these rules, and it is their responsibility to review the rules (whether they actually do or not). You have a couple options here.

1. You can give him a warning. Remind him that there is a strict no smoking rule and give him an opportunity to correct his behavior moving forward.

2. You can inform him that he has broken a rule he agreed to when booking, and you would like to end his reservation. If this is going to be your decision, I would first call Airbnb support, report the violation, then move forward with their assistance in cancelling the remainder of the reservation. This way you don't incur any penalties for cancelling. Just keep in mind, the guest might receive some funds back for the days in which he will not be staying.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Jennifer1897, thank you so much for sharing your advice with Lorna.

@Lorna251, have you considered having a conversation with your guest to evaluate future steps?

Keep us posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Really you should have tackled this  the first day it was reported to you - rather than letting him carry on for a month. It's not fair to the other guests and you won't be able to let it as a non smoking room without a deep clean.

let the guest know you've had ongoing complaints about him smoking dope in his room and if it happens again he will need to leave @Lorna251 

Lorna251
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi I have not left it a month, I contacted airbnb and put up this post the first time I heard about it.  Thank you to everyone that has offered advice, I have been to see the tenant and check his room but could not tell if he had been smoking as the room smelt so highly of aftershave (I think he had a big spray just before I arrived) but he has been given a warning so hopefully it will resolve itself now