KeyNest Help

Answered!
Saiful10
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

KeyNest Help

I'm considering buying a house to let out for Air BnB and wondering about Keynest and cost. Will it be possible for someone who lives 100's miles away from the house they are letting out.

What happens if guest looses key?

how does Air BnB cleaning service work and cost?

Thanks in advance.

1 Best Answer
Florian84
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

KeyNest offers locations to hold your keys, so your guests can collect & drop them without the need of you being in the city. You can also use the service for your cleaner. For the cleaning, you can either find a permanent cleaner yourself or consider using a co-host / management company?

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Saiful10 there is no Airbnb cleaning service. Running an Airbnb at a distance means you really need a co-host who is local that you can rely on. They won't come cheap though.

Any idea what's the going rate for a 3 bed let? I imagine like man in van they won't get out of bed without a day's pay...

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Saiful10 

You can join a local host group on FB for your part of the UK and ask for recommendations for local cohosts who can help manage your listing. They will be able to give you a quote to help manage your listing.

Saiful10
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

That really helpful. I guess you'd get some kind of character references from them as with any employee. Is there cases where cohosts abuse their key ownership? How can that be prevented? Smart door bell maybe?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you should get work references from other hosts who have used their services, check their ratings and reviews on Airbnb and make sure they provide you with a contract that includes a clear list of services they provide, payment terms and a notice period if services are no longer required @Saiful10 

Florian84
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

KeyNest offers locations to hold your keys, so your guests can collect & drop them without the need of you being in the city. You can also use the service for your cleaner. For the cleaning, you can either find a permanent cleaner yourself or consider using a co-host / management company?

I don't really understand this KeyNest thing. Why not just use an August Lock and Ring? Why would you want to hand over physical keys to a sundry of store clerks. 

Saiful10
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I like the idea of smart locks but due to the chance of broadband/router failing or needing reboot would need a keypad option. Do you know any that have renewable key codes?

Hi @Saiful10 , 

The one I use works with Airbnb platform. I've linked them on the app on my phone, so when I get a confirmed booking they get an automated message with a random number and that random number is set to their reservation dates only. I've had a few guests who didn't check out in time and couldn't get back in, so I always tell them in the initial email that the lock expires at the check out time. 

You can add, remove or extend  key codes from your phone even if you are 100 miles away. Most of the time I'm away from my properties by 30 miles or so and I can see who is at the door and/or unlock the door for the person remotely. This makes it easy to let maintenance people in and make sure to lock after they leave. 

My cleaning person has a code of her own so I know when she uses it, that means I know when she comes to clean and when she leaves. 

All that said, I live in an urban area where we have super fast and reliable internet options. This probably would not be such a good option if I lived in a place more prone to broadband outages. 

However, I also have an old fashion lock box, the kind real estate agents use that houses physical keys to the property. In case of a dead battery before I can change it and/or broadband outages, I give the guests the combination to the lockbox and they unlock the door physically. This happened only once and it was not due to an outage but the guest not being able to figure out how to enter the key code. I even unlocked it for them remotely but for some reason they couldn't enter. I think it was a mental block having the key helped them. 

After a key code expires, I just remove it. I know there are some companies that set the key codes to correspond to the guests phone number but I find that to be too unsettling. I rather random numbers. 

For example, I had a guest who needed a place to stay until her family could come and get her as her partner was abusing her. That partner could have easily figured out the key code set to a phone number. 

For what it's worth, if you do not mind making the trip at least once a week and can find a good cleaning service, someone who cleans and replenishes supplies you can manage the rest remotely. Until I got a good cleaning service and  set mutual expectations I had to go after every cleaning to make sure the unit was presentable. 

I pay a little more for my cleaning service than the average, but she takes time coded photos before and after which would come handy if there was a damage etc and makes sure she replenishes supplies in between. 

I also have good neighbors I could call in an emergency until I could get there. 

I also have a locked linen closet with at least 4 sets of bedding for each bed. I go once a week, sometimes less often if guests are staying longer to pick up dirty laundry the cleaning lady stored and leave clean ones. The washer in the unit is not very efficient for doing laundry. 

Anyway, these are just a few coping mechanisms I learned for when I am not directly on the property. I hope they help you figure out what you would like to do. 

n. 

oh, also forgot. yes, August lock has smart lock and keypad. I only give the guests access to keypad not to the app on their phone. Too complicated. 

Saiful10
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thanks for taking all that effort to elaborate Nur.

Reading your posts, sounds like you have gained lot of experience  and prepared for the worst.

Would a key safe at the premises need to meet some security standards? Does the combination of that need regular change? Air BnB sounds like a lot of initial outlay.

I probably need to do a course on hosting to learn linen changes.

Personally, I live with summer and winter duvets and just wash the covers. That probably will not be sufficient hygiene in hosting.

What advice can you give for someone buying property for renting out. What are the most important factors: The quality of the house? Does it have to be a cultural capital to pull, Historical attractions, location to stations, beaches? I seem to find almost any town and house with reservations when I check calendars.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Saiful10 ,

Were you able to gather more information on Keynest and decide whether to use that service or not?

Do keep us posted on your journey on Airbnb.🌻

All the best!!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines