Long gap between guests - re: bedding

Willene1
Level 10
Kaleden, Canada

Long gap between guests - re: bedding

Due to travel bans to our area due to wildfires, guests were not permitted to stay in hotels or Airbnb’s to allow spaces for evacuated locals.  Then when the ban was cancelled, there was a major rockslide that blocked one of the main highways to our area. Bookings were all cancelled.  A month later, things are back to normal, however tourist season is done. 
My question is when there is a month or more even (coming up winter slow season)  we totally re clean the suite but wonder at what point would the bedding have to be changed to keep it fresh?  
I’m expecting it may be 6 months before our next booking.  I like to have the suite ready all the time, however wonder if I will have to redo the bedding  if there’s a long gap between guests.   
Opinions?

4 Replies 4
Joelle43
Top Contributor
Cannes, France

Hello @Willene1 

Tempting as it is to know that  your listing is ready to go, I would definitely not make up the beds with such a long gap.  If the place is locked up for a long time there may be a musty smell in the unit that may well go onto the sheets so personally I would make them up only when I get a reservation.  Guests can't book my place less than 24 hours before their arrival time so this gives me time to make the beds up freshly.

I don't know about Canada, but here in France there is a lot of talk of bed bugs that can live up to 2 years😱 So if the beds are already made up, you won't necessarily spot any problems.

All the best

Joëlle

@Joelle43 Thank you. Will feel odd leaving the beds unmade but I will try. It won’t take long to make 3 beds when I’m freshening the suite. 
As the suite is the lower level of our home, it’s never locked up and musty is not a worry.  Have never had any bed bugs. They did actually mention on the local news yesterday that there was a big problem with them in France. How awful to have to deal with that. Appreciate your comments. Thank you. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Willene1 we tend to clean thoroughly and make the beds but always do a final dust around to remove spiders etc that, even then, can sneak in to the listing within hours of us finishing. Our longest empty period is only usually a couple of weeks so its not a huge problem.

@Mike-And-Jane0

Yes, I always do a final touch up pre guest as well.  I’m totally paranoid if there’s a spider or web anywhere. Just wasn’t sure about the bedding freshness if there’s a gap in guests as you just never know around here after the busy tourist season.  
Thank you!