Long term request advice needed

Answered!
Michelle3577
Level 2
Cookeville, TN

Long term request advice needed

Hello! I am not even a week into hosting and quite (pleasantly) surprised by how quickly we received inquiries and bookings. BUT, I have received a request from a man (+2 guests) who wants to stay for 2 1/2 months. He also wants to bring his Pomeranian. We currently have a no-pet policy, due to the home being a restored vintage home,  but no harm in asking & I could take the risk and accommodate the pet. I am nervous about moving forward with this. I would have to have an additional tenant contract in place because if it were to go south, he would be protected under renters' rights in my state (occupancy over 30 days). Concern # 2 is I barely have my feet wet with normal guests, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. My biggest concern is it appears he has no reviews as a guest and there is no profile picture. 

Is it appropriate to ask what he is in the area for or anything that might help me determine if this is legit, or should I just decline the booking? How do I know if this is a legitimate request or something I should avoid?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom. 

-Michelle 

1 Best Answer

@Michelle3577 

@Helen744 has some good advice on how to handle this, if you decide to accept the booking. In our region, are PG&E workers, medical workers, firefighters, all on contract for a couple months. They could be in this category, and should provide this information in their request. Definitely find this out. 

If you are not ready to take this on, or if your gut feeling advises against it, don't accept. The dog in a no pets home is a sign that this person might be tempted to bend other house rules.  Even a little dog can do lasting damage to your home, if left unattended, and can bark incessantly disturbing neighbors. A dog left alone in a strange place can. feel really uncomfortable.

The issue of tenants rights is a large red flag for me, as well. I personally would not go there. We are in N. California, where this is a huge issue. 

Every guest starts out as one with no reviews, no history on the platform. This newbie wants to book with 2 other persons with no identity verification, no history, etc. This makes this a situation of great trust, much greater than with a guest with a great record of stays and reviews. 

Hosting is a skill that you may not feel comfortable with just yet.  As a new host you have your gut feelings to guide you and the guest's record - or none - on the platform. 

Best of luck, happy hosting, and let us know what you decide.

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Michelle3577hi michelle , yes it is tempting to take these large bookings early on as it will give you a little breather to adjust and make some safe money , but,do yes ask questions ask for extra ad , ask for id of the other two guests and if these guys are in the area for work and what type of work . New hosts do attract these plums early because your rates are low or generally very reasonable compared to others. Remember to supply the guests with adequate  cleaning products and alert the guest that a weekly clean is also part of the ongoing cost . This is a trust arrangement between you and the guests as their belongings will be in the house, but so are yours, and other maintenance is ongoing and often bills are a little higher for these stays. So check that the guest is okay for a general linen change and kitchen and bathroom clean and vacumn. This is how I have done it . I provide large size bathroom products plus extras lots of marked bins and expectations that the guests take care of the weekly pick up . Tell them when it is and make some rules and provide a little doggie area and liase with the guest about not leaving the dog alone. Check your guests requirements for internet , phone charging and also desks or work spaces. It is still Airbnb and if guests are paying a higher rate then make sure they still receive value and  that you can still look after your house properly. Its importsant to keep your standards up because people will begin to think they are paying too much if you dont. The price should prevent most people from trying to turn the Airbnb into a rental . think serviced apartment and you are the concierge to a degree and you will be fine. the drawback is that these people will not go away if for some reason they turn into a problem . so do your checks on all the guests and ask where they are going when they leave and where they were before. Proceed slowly .. Good Luck H

Thanks! These points give me a lot to think about. 

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Michelle3577 We have a 28 day max because 29 days or more is considered long term rental in AZ, it’s a different license, and different taxes are required to be paid.

Also, people staying longer want deep discounts, I can make more money renting 4- 3 day weekends than renting one month, with less utility usage/wear and tear,TP/ etc, plus I get to use the house in between. 

good points. thank you

@Michelle3577 

@Helen744 has some good advice on how to handle this, if you decide to accept the booking. In our region, are PG&E workers, medical workers, firefighters, all on contract for a couple months. They could be in this category, and should provide this information in their request. Definitely find this out. 

If you are not ready to take this on, or if your gut feeling advises against it, don't accept. The dog in a no pets home is a sign that this person might be tempted to bend other house rules.  Even a little dog can do lasting damage to your home, if left unattended, and can bark incessantly disturbing neighbors. A dog left alone in a strange place can. feel really uncomfortable.

The issue of tenants rights is a large red flag for me, as well. I personally would not go there. We are in N. California, where this is a huge issue. 

Every guest starts out as one with no reviews, no history on the platform. This newbie wants to book with 2 other persons with no identity verification, no history, etc. This makes this a situation of great trust, much greater than with a guest with a great record of stays and reviews. 

Hosting is a skill that you may not feel comfortable with just yet.  As a new host you have your gut feelings to guide you and the guest's record - or none - on the platform. 

Best of luck, happy hosting, and let us know what you decide.

Thank you. I responded to him requesting more information and it has been crickets since. The strange thing is his first request was for 82 days, then someone else booked a few of those days, and he then asked for a 10-day availability. It just all seemed off. I have not declined the booking yet, is that something I need to do? I would think I have to because the inquiry was for the original 82 days. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Excellent advise below, and just to add that when you first start it is a time to exercise a bit of caution. Besides you will learn a lot more quicker hosting many people at first than from one single early nightmare.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Michelle3577 and welcome to our lovely Community,

Did you get a chance to check out the awesome suggestions from our members? Big thanks to  @Fred13 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Dawn241 and @Helen744 😊

Keep us posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Hello. Thank you for the warm invite. Yes! So mouch helpful advice ad guidance here!!

I have read them all over and just have red flags about the situation. I have not declined the booking yet, is that something I need to do? I would think I have to because the inquiry was for the original 82 days, whereas once some of those days were booked he asked for a 10-day period of availability but on the original inquiry of 82 days. 

AnnMarie68
Level 2
Township of Jackson, PA

Question I am in the State of PA how do I know if I need an additional contract? I am new too.

@AnnMarie68 

Good question! Laws are different from state to state. If you want the bottom line response, I suggest you start by doing your research online.  Consult an attorney for the best possible advice. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Michelle3577  As a new host, I would highly recommend that you NOT take any bookings over 2 weeks until you have a good number of bookings under your belt.  

New hosts are often taken advantage of, and you need to give yourself time to learn about guests, their expectations and how to protect yourself from the cheats of the renting world.   The scammers are out there, and they will search out new hosts in order to gain free accommodations by reporting falsehoods to AirBnB.

Red flags: 

Guests who want to book long term (more than 28 days) in a brand new rental listing. 

Guests who request discounts for longer stays, or say that they are military, firefighters, police, teachers or other professionals who are often given discounts by hotels.  

Guests who want to bring their pets to a pet-free listing.

Guests who want to bring extra guests or children in excess of your numbers.

Guests who want to pay with company issued checks.

Guests who want to pay off the platform and send you their phone or email in a "disguised" fashion.

Guests who want to arrive very early or depart very late due to plane reservations (I always ask for the flight schedule as I am a drive-to location).

Guests who have posted a cartoon as their ID picture.

Guests who obviously did not read the first sentence of your listing and ask if you have a driveway, kitchen, pool, lake, stairs, 2 beds, accept pets, etc. 

Thank you. This is very helpful advice. I have a lot to learn as I start out.