Long term stay requests from guests

Mark4168
Level 3
Hopatcong, NJ

Long term stay requests from guests

Hello all I host a extra room in my house that I live in, in NW New Jersey. I had a guest today request a long term stay up to a year. He has 3 good reviews. He said he just started a job here at a gas station and asked for a break in the rate around $1000 for 31 days. I told him normally for long term stays I would ask him to fill out a rental application. He said he is 20 from Turkey, doesn't smoke or drink.

What do you all think?

I told him I like to host through airbnb because of the insurance airbnb offers hosts like me. 

I left it that he could book it for one month or less while he looks for a place.

I told him that apartments in my area rent for $1600 per month. He hasn't responded but read my messages.

Here is my listing.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/971951166400975817?guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=2b4cd5ff-53b8...

4 Replies 4
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Mark4168 

My two cents dealing with contract workers and many immigration workers. is basically even a U S citizen working at a gas station can't afford my STR.  There  are designated rentals they can afford.

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you're taking a thoughtful approach to this request. Starting off with a one-month booking through Airbnb is a prudent choice. It allows both you and the guest to assess how well the arrangement works without committing to a long-term lease right away. Given that he's new to the area and still settling into his job, this flexibility can be beneficial for both parties.

Requesting a rental application for a longer stay is also a wise move. It not only gives you more insight into your potential long-term guest but also sets a professional tone, emphasizing that you take your role as a host seriously.

Keeping all reservations through Airbnb, especially for extended stays, is key. The platform’s insurance and support mechanisms are invaluable, providing a safety net that private agreements don't offer. This is particularly important when dealing with guests who are essentially becoming temporary tenants.

If he hasn't responded yet, he might be weighing his options or considering the financial implications, given the difference between your rate and typical rents in the area. A gentle follow-up in a few days might prompt a response and help clarify his position. Overall, your strategy seems solid—balancing flexibility with caution.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

**[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines

Hi thanks for the message. The guest came back and said that he found a place on craigslist that didn't ask for a rental application.

Mark**

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Alicia753 Really??? Airbnb support is often poor and their Aircover product hardly protects the host at all.