Looking for advice dealing with host

Michelle3326
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Looking for advice dealing with host

Hello - I’m currently staying in an Airbnb in Madrid, halfway through a 2 week stay.

Yesterday, the bathroom light went out while I was getting ready. I messaged the host about it, asking if it could be fixed. Then the light came back on 20 minutes later. Meanwhile, his response to the “light not working / I think it’s an electrical issue”, was “that’s not possible” and “there’s no electrical issue in the apartment”. There was no offer to come and fix it.

Today, the light went out again and this time it’s been over an hour, so I’m unsure if it will come back on. I messaged the host with pictures and he hasn’t responded (it’s been about an hour and a half).

I’m thinking it’s a connection problem, as there is another light in the bathroom that has gone out during my stay. There’s also a hallway light that flickered a ton before it stopped working, and a plug in the bedroom stopped working overnight during my stay as well. A little unbelievable tbh.

If the host is unable to fix the problem, I would probably request a partial refund, but unsure how to quantify the $ inconvenience of having to shower in the dark. Any suggestions appreciated.

5 Replies 5
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michelle3326 

I don't want to alarm you, and if it was just the bathroom light going out for 20 minutes in the first instance, or just one light flickering, I probably wouldn't mention this, but a number of electrical problems might suggest that there is an electrical safety issue. Have you seen mention of these things in any of the other reviews the host has received?

I have no idea how it works in Madrid, and maybe some Spanish hosts can advise, but in the UK, if one is renting out rooms, I believe you need to have an electrical safety certificate and have your electrics checked every three years. This is an expensive process, so I guess some hosts here in the UK just skip it, but also I think a lot of hosts/landlords aren't even aware as they have not done their research...

On the other hand, lights can go off or flicker simply because the bulbs are not screwed in properly, or because the host bought bulbs that are not that great. And that is not a safety issue.

Either way, the host should be a bit more willing to investigate the problem. If you have made a lot of other complaints/demands though, that you haven't mentioned here, they might just view you as a problematic and high maintenance guest. Host can get annoyed when a guest keeps complaining about something that no one else has.

I don’t see electrical issues mentioned in prior reviews, only that the boiler/heater was not working back in Nov/Dec and there was a leak. It sounds like there’s continuous dripping onto the bathroom ceiling but no signs of water damage so I paid it no mind..

The light did come back on after about 4 hours. This is the first thing I have contacted the host about after checking in, and very reluctantly so, because I can tell he’s rather unhelpful and doesn’t seem to understand English very well unfortunately.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michelle3326 

If there is no sign of water damage, it sounds like the leak has been fixed and maybe the boiler/heater too, although the dripping sound is kind of weird. It could just be something else making that noise from the apartment above (if there is one). Most property owners will tell you that there are always maintenance issues to sort out, and it's often worse in the winter months.

Does the airbnb seem in good repair generally? Or is it a bit run down?

I can only guess about the electrics, but it's odd that a light should go out for four hours and the non-functioning socket suggests it's not just a problem with the bulbs. I am sorry your host is not being helpful. I know that most countries do not have the same strict electrical safety standards that we have in the UK, so perhaps he just thinks it's normal and no big deal.

How much longer are you there for? Did the host get back to you after the light went out the second time?

Thank you for your repeated input.

The apartment looks pretty good visually, but minor issues (the range hood wasn’t properly installed and makes a wheezing noise without really drawing air, freezer compartment doesn’t close properly so it drips water onto the top shelf of the fridge). Not really a problem for a short stay.

Host has not responded yet (it’s been 2 days).

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michelle3326 

Is the issue with the bathroom light still on going on? If the host won't respond, then you might need to take this up with Airbnb. However, bear in mind there is a timescale for reporting issues to them, which is within 72 hours of noticing them. So, if this is the route you want to go, do it asap.

It is good that you already reached out to the host (twice) to ask them to fix the problem. I trust this communication, including his response, was done via the Airbnb messaging system? That will help your case. Otherwise, screenshot any external messages and message the host again about it on the Airbnb system, mentioning that this is the third time you are asking for the problem to be fixed.

Airbnb may ask you for evidence. You have the photos, but honestly, it's hard to prove that a light is not working just from photos. You should take a video of the flickering light. Tell them your concern is related to safety, not just having to shower in the dark. Be clear about what it is you want them to do. For example, do you want them to contact the host and tell him to fix the issues?

Plus, in terms of asking for a partial discount, it doesn't sound to me like the host will be amenable to this from what you have told us. According to Airbnb policy, you need to report the issue within 72 hours (as well as having given the host an opportunity to fix it). You cannot complete a stay and then ask for a discount after.

You can find information about the policies here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/3218

Whatever happens, leave an honest review. Try to keep it brief and to the point. You don't need to list every little detail. In the star ratings, I would definitely mark down on communication. It's clearly not the host's strong point!