My host is telling me that I can’t have friends coming and going on my weeks stay can she do that?

Robin1427
Level 1
Kenwood, CA

My host is telling me that I can’t have friends coming and going on my weeks stay can she do that?

My host is telling me that I cannot have friends and family coming and going on my week stay. Can she do that?

4 Replies 4
Dee32
Level 8
Redondo Beach, CA

Hi Robin,

Your question needs more details. Are you renting a room in her house or the entire place? What do her house rules say in the description about number of guest allowed or unauthorized guests?

This is a question that should have been asked and answered prior to you booking the place. Did you read the description & house rules? What happened that your host suddenly said "you cannot have friends and family coming and going" during your weeks stay? When I host someone I make it very clear up front by finding out first what the is the nature of the guests trip? Work,relaxing,visiting friends/family, an event? I politely ask what their plans are and usually they will reply with the answers I need to know to make sure we are a good fit. If a guest wants to rent my place which is suited for one or two people, and they ask me if they can host a dinner party on my roof for 6-8 family members, I'm going to pass on that. Having a friend over is different. That said, it should always be discussed prior to booking a place. Can you give more details? It's a good topic for discussion.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Robin1427 Of course she can do that. It is the host's property and she gets to make the rules.

Most hosts do not allow visitors of any kind. Why? Because guests abuse the privilege. Suddenly a visitor turns into an overnight guest that they are not paying for, or that puts them over capacity.  Visitors can also mean parties. While your intentions may be good, you have to remember that not all guests are responsible or respectful of a property during their stay. 

You are a guest, and that doesn't give you privileges that you would have in your own home. I don't know what this host has in her property description and house rules, but I do hope you reviewed everything carefully before booking, and/or asked BEFORE booking if you could have guests. If not, I'm afraid you're at her mercy. 

If the family and friends are local to where you're staying, perhaps you could pick a different place to gather. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Of course she can . The host won't be covered by insurance if one your visitors damages the property @Robin1427 

If you wanted to have family/friends visiting did you not mention this to the host when booking .

why not visit your family/ friends in their homes ? 

Cheri354
Level 10
Helena-West Helena, AR

Yes, it's likely listed under the host's "house rules". Basically for insurance purposes, only registered guests should be on the property 🙂