Need help with guest who showed up with 3 large dogs, I have a no pets policy

Need help with guest who showed up with 3 large dogs, I have a no pets policy

Hello Community,

I need some help here...... I have been hosting for 4 yrs now and have not encountered this situation before...

I had a guest book/ check in same day yesterday with no mention of pets.  I have a no pets policy on my rental. They showed up with 3 large dogs ( German Shepards). I also live on my property, my rental is connected with 1 common wall. The rental has it's own parking and separate entry so I rarely see/interact with guests. I noticed the dogs on leashes last night in my back yard, so I went over to confront the guests. They claim they did not know about the no pets policy, and that they were keeping them in their pickup truck during their stay, and walking them on leashes the whole time. I asked why they did not ask/mention bringing the dogs and they said because they were not having them in the house at all. Still I say I have a no pets policy!  I let them know if there was any damage whatsoever, that I will be reporting it. 

I have no idea what to do here, what are my rights? They are clearly breaking the rules! 

2 Replies 2
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Tiffany-And-Andrew0 

Hi Guys, unfortunately Airbnb are simply a conduit, a go between for guest and host, they put the two in touch with each other but have very little involvement beyond that when it comes to house rules and disputes. 

All they will say to the guest if you lodge a complaint is ...."If it's not too much trouble please respect the hosts pets house rule!" and they will leave it up to you as to what action to take.

The guest is obviously catfishing you, the house-rules icon regarding pets is one of the first bits of information on the listing page and people travelling with dogs are acutely aware of landlords pets policy, so it's extremely unlikely they would  be responsible for any damage these animals will do, they just expect that as they are there you will buckle under and accept the situation. 

I have had the same thing happen here, they almost totally destroyed our garden but all the guest said on leaving was..."I hope the dogs were not too much trouble" and they were gone.

Now I do not accept pets, I do not accept..'I didn't see no pets on your listing', there is a local kennel they can put them into but I won't allow them on the property.

But I am afraid it is up to you to enforce your pets policy, the most Airbnb will do is ask if you want to cancel the stay and it then becomes a host cancellation which you will ultimately be punished for in some way or other!

All the best.

Cheers.........Rob

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Tiffany-And-Andrew0 

Even if you would have a "pets welcome" policy, it would be very disrespectful to show up with three large dogs without announcing it. Offcourse these people are aware "pets policies" can exists, but they simply ignore it and then you suddenly notice three dogs in your garden.

Although you can give it a try, do not expect any constructive help from Airbnb CS.

If the stay is only for a few nights, make clear to the guests the dogs are not allowed anywhere on your property (so must be kept in the truck). Otherwise shorten the reservation to the first date possible. And please do mention the dogs in the review !