Neighbor Harassing Guests

Neighbor Harassing Guests

Good day everyone!

We have a situation where we are legally renting out our home through AirBNB and have a neighbor who is not happy about the situation. On many occasions she has voiced her concerns to our guests as they are either in the driveway or on a walk. The neighbor has even gone as far as to tell our guests to take the trash up, not park in the street, etc. Thus far we have been able to smooth things over for the most part with the guests and prevent any negative reviews. We have been back and forth with the neighbor on several situations and have decided to cut off communication with them to avoid further conflict as they are quite tenacious and borderline harassing.

We are curious if anyone has had a similar situations of neighbors repetitively bothering guests or sharing their opinions of the Airbnb/STR situation and their level of dislike.

We have contemplated seeking legal advice and potentially a cease and desist or even a civil defamation suit, however, we are not sure if this situation would be considered defamation in the eyes of the law, and also don't want to poke the hornets nest more than necessary.

45 Replies 45
Emmily3
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

Hi! I have the a very similar situation happening. My Airbnb is in a complex, and the office is aware and they even get a “property revenue share” from every stay. My neighbor keeps approaching my guests and makes them feel uncomfortable by telling them how much she hates Airbnb and that if she had known about it being done in the property prior to moving she would have not moved in… 😑 I’ve talked to the office just waiting for a resolution.