No support for extra cleaning fees

Heidi653
Level 1
Nulkaba, Australia

No support for extra cleaning fees

Hi all. I had guests check out and they left the house messy, garbage left on benches, food in fridge etc. guests are made aware that they have to leave house tidy, take garbage out, remove food from fridge. I tried to claim extra cleaning costs but Airbnb won’t support it, saying …” Host damage protection only covers for cleaning costs in excess of cleaning fees paid to or charged by a Host upon reservation. “. Basically means guests don’t have to follow my house rules. What are your thoughts??

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Heidi653 some guests leave our place immaculate, others less so with grease on cooker and food in the fridge. Its annoying but possibly only adds an hour to the cleaning. We take the rough with the smooth and it all evens out in the end. I think claiming is both petty and likely to get you a poor review which will be far more damaging.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

It could also mean that maybe, just maybe you may have too many rules for guests to do, thus too many steps for them to fail. While some may sound simple enough and even fall under understandable common sense, they may constitute 'tests' that no guest could fail if they were not there in the first place with another host that doesn't have them nor the subject of a claim for extra cleaning fee ( and getting Airbnb involved) would even arise.

Two issues that are presently in constant discussion with Airbnb, what constitutes a 'proper' set of requirements with guest chores and the use of cameras; both present  personal challenges with each host.