Outside Security Camera

Answered!

Outside Security Camera

Hi all, 

new host here.  We have guests who have decided to move the security camera off the back deck.  What can I do?  

1 Best Answer
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Joe-And-Kerri0 The new policy states we can only have outdoor cameras, not indoor, and we must disclose where the cameras are at, and they can’t be in places where people expect privacy like saunas and outdoor showers. 

so my question is where on the deck? Why on the deck? Is it pointing at a door to verify the number of people entering the house? If it’s just watching people on the deck, I personally wouldn’t like that either. 

I have one at each door, driveway, and front of house, but I don’t have any in the backyard or patio area I don’t need to see dogs and kids running around or hear peoples conversations on the patio.

I also have concerns that disclosing the location of outdoor cameras could allow people to move them, cover them or remove the batteries. Mine are all high enough that a ladder is required. It will be interesting. 

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Joe-And-Kerri0 The new policy states we can only have outdoor cameras, not indoor, and we must disclose where the cameras are at, and they can’t be in places where people expect privacy like saunas and outdoor showers. 

so my question is where on the deck? Why on the deck? Is it pointing at a door to verify the number of people entering the house? If it’s just watching people on the deck, I personally wouldn’t like that either. 

I have one at each door, driveway, and front of house, but I don’t have any in the backyard or patio area I don’t need to see dogs and kids running around or hear peoples conversations on the patio.

I also have concerns that disclosing the location of outdoor cameras could allow people to move them, cover them or remove the batteries. Mine are all high enough that a ladder is required. It will be interesting. 

Hi Dawn.  Thanks for your feedback.   The cameras are outdoor only and point to the entrance doors of the property.   Airbnb asked that I send a polite note to the guest before further escalation.  Guests are prohibited from moving the cameras.   I do like the idea of moving to a higher location.   We sent the note and they complied by moving back into place.   We have since edited our house rules on our listing to include language involving the cameras.  Issue resolved.