Ozone machines - Do they work?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Ozone machines - Do they work?

Hi Folks,

Our first experience of an horrific fish cooking smell from a guest pervading the whole apartment.

Does anyone have an Ozone machine, how long do they take to work and what capacity machine should I buy?

Thanks

27 Replies 27

@Gillian166 @Helen744 

A chandelier in the bathroom is total campy fun. When we had an outhouse I put in a chandelier and flocked wallpaper. Everyone loved it. 

@Kitty-and-Creek0  yes, I can see how that would be awesome. our little studio cottage actually had a chandelier in it when we bought the place, and we got rid of it, but i'm wondering if it's now in the hay shed and we could put it up somewhere else where it won't look like it's trying to be serious. 

@Gillian166 

I encourage you to give it a go, definitely make it fun. Let me know!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen744 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Gillian166 

I have a black chandelier in one of my bathrooms and I am rather fond of having it there (was formerly in the living room of my previous home). 

However, one has to be careful about electrical safety standards, which here in the UK are strict. 

There was a lot of umming and ahhing by the electrician about this chandelier before he issued my electrical safety certificate. In fact, I had to buy a 'bathroom approved' chandelier in the meantime, which I didn't like nearly as much as there is not a lot of choice in those, as you can imagine.

In the end, he passed the existing chandelier (it had to be a minimum distance from a water source, and mine was). Luckily the retailer I bought the new one from was kind and allowed me to return it.

Stockwell-SW9-london-houses-036-1200x1800.jpg

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Love it  ! Huma . So fab. H

@Gillian166 

We are exposed on a mountaintop with some incredible storms and huge temperature changes. We bought what was recommended to us - Alaskan Tile. It is made with a lot of polymers, so that it can handle the wind. Others in the area have followed our lead. The first 30 year roof on this house had to be replaced at 12 years. So far we are 22 years on this Alaskan Tile, and we are delighted. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Mike-and -Jane I have recently had to deal with a rather horrible permeating cooking smell also. Luckily we did not have back to back bookings .I scrubbed the stove after removing hotplates and put every thing I could in the dishwasher.Then did the same for the microwave and the oven .superscrubbed everthing , put on the fans . sprayed with an anti bac spray that i do not usually use and left all the windows open on and off for days . I used eucalyptus oil to ewipe surfaces mixed with soapy hot water . checked behind the oven and the fridge and eventually it started to wane.In desparation I put bowls of vinegar on the floors of every room . It took a while but it did go .It truly smelled like someone had been cooking road kill. I love people to cook and relax in my home but I nearly rang the lady to ask ' what on earth she had been cooking ?'I did ,nt but I suspect there are certain things people are not allowed to cook in there own homes because their families object. At one stage I had to ask people not to eat in the bedrooms because a lady stocked up on a lot of garlic laden takeaway food and ate it all in bed . That took a while to clean out the smell too. I have never used a Ozone machine but it is my experience that whatever is in the air has originated from a 'globule 'still in the room . scrub scrub scrub. Yuk H

Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0   We bought one a couple of years ago after a guest spilt a whole bottle of perfume in the kitchen, or she decided to spray an awful lot of it about ?  After airing the property for 2 days and trying various over tricks,  it still smelt horribly strong so we then spent around £100 on one from Amazon and ran it for around 2 hrs and it did the trick.

I have used it a couple of times since and it always works.  I tend to put it in overnight if I have a chance and let it do its stuff.  Definitely remove any plants.  I was a bit concerned re having to seal the place off as it is an old cottage and has plenty of gaps and drafts but I just closed doors and windows and it works great.  I think it is one of our better investments.

Ruth 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

Definitely remove any plants.   

When i was doing my research into the ozone machine I discovered that pot growers use them to kill bugs in the soil, so the plants can actually handle it for a short while. I've left my plants in the room and they are fine. I never run it longer than 30mins. 

Def double check that your pets are gone though! 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Mike-And-Jane0   I have been using an ozone machine between guests now for two plus years.  It is amazing as the last resort for getting rid of smells, but do a thorough clean before using the machine.  I purchased mine from Amazon, under $100, and is a 12x12 cube.  I run the machine in an 800 sf cabin for two hours, doors and windows closed, oven, microwave and dishwasher doors open.  I then air out for an hour with fans going and the smells are gone!  Love it.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Mike-And-Jane0 @Huma0 @Kitty-and-Creek0 @Gillian166 @Helen744 

I never seen this thread before, My husband is an expert in Ozone technology, 

We do use them in our properties and we have one in our office,

If anybody would like any info I will ask him,

Biosweep