Part-Cancellation/ Alteration requests

Matthew1808
Level 3
Limerick, Ireland

Part-Cancellation/ Alteration requests

Wondering how other hosts deal with this.

For example I've had guests wishing to alter a 4-night stay to a one night stay, the day before arrival.

I have a Moderate cancellation policy. But after speaking with the Airbnb Host Support team - there is no way to apply the cancellation policy to part of the booking, i.e. the nights they no longer want.

What I have been doing is explaining this, and offering them a percentage refund on each night, with a full refund on each night someone else books it. But to do this, I must accept the alteration then rely on them honouring the agreement to repay what is owed after the period ends.

2 Replies 2
Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Matthew1808 

I would say make your decision if your comfortable with the guest performing a duty they have no experience doing.  I think that would be a decision made for each guest independently.

The other side is if the only remedy to a problem is complicated and financially risky.  Maybe your focus should be avoiding the problem rather than a remedy.

Thanks Marie, yes you're right, I think I'm too soft! Need to just refuse the alteration requests on the basis of it being too short notice and let it be.