Police control

Police control

Hi! Just want to ask if anyone here was controlled by a police officer while inside an Airbnb home? It happened to me tonight here in Italy. Two legit police officers came knocking in our place and controlled me. Thanks Heaven that I had copies of my documents on my phone. But this thing is quite strange and honestly in my opinion, annoying when all you wanted on a weekend was to relax. Anyone experienced the same thing? I would appreciate your thoughts.🤗🙏🙏

7 Replies 7
Martin3344
Level 7
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

@Grianne0

I have never experienced this myself. However I just had some Italian visitors come to stay who wanted to show me their ID when they arrived. I said that this wasn't necessary in the UK. They told me that it is a requirement in Italy, and that details have to be shared by the accommodation provider with the police. Perhaps if your host didn't do that it could be a reason for the police check in that particular country.

The host actually communicated our identification details before we arrived. They had some questions about my documents but I was able to provide them proof of my legal stay here. I just find it very embarrassing and annoying.

Ciao @Grianne0 , 
In Italy it is possibile to ask for the ID data (not the photo) of the guests in advance but then, only after the host has controlled at check-in that the original document matches with the data, it is possibile to send them to the police within 24 hours (6 hours in case of only 1 overnight stay). 
So self check-in in Italy is not legal if there is no personal control of the documents at arrival. Many municipalities now send policemen to check when a host notifies a self check-in in his listing. 

Thank you for the reply. I am aware about the fact that upon booking whether Airbnb or through booking it is mandatory to submit your identification details together with that of your companion during your stay. What happened last night, where a carabinieri (take note that they weren’t local police officers) came knocking on our door to ask about my document was totally off! Today I talked with a relative who’s a police officer about what happened and his hypothesis is that  it could be that the carabinieri were tipped off (?). My question is that, is it legal without a warrant or written consent from the judge to come knocking in a home where you host visitors? If by chance there were some problems with the documents/indentification cards submitted to the questura by this proprietaria, wasn’t more proper for the carabinieri to address the issue with them and not to wait for the visitors to arrive and then control them afterwards? In the first place, the carabinieri should have advised the hotels or property owners to refuse entrance of visitors with documents in question. I think that was more logical. 

@Grianne0, evidently there was some suspicion about the identity provided and therefore the police or carabinieri have the right to check the person hosted.

Here in Italy to renew your permit as we all know due to bureaucratic delays, one has to wait as long as 9-6 months  only for the finger printing and another couple of months for the card. But if they pulled up my file on their database, obviously they would see that the request is on process (only when I showed them the receipt that they left me in peace). So their was no evident motive for the control. Here in Italy obviously all files are centralised in the government database. 

I say it centralised and ‘tutti collegati’ since upon booking I give details of my passport only which obviously is sufficient enough to check my file where they saw that the permit has expired indeed and awaiting for the renewal.