Portugal SEF/SIBA registration

Portugal SEF/SIBA registration

For short term rentals it is required to provide guests Passport information to SEF.
My question is - what if quests who already booked refuse to provide passport data.
Since it is self checkin none there to demand passport or refuse accommodation.
And links to Web Services that are sent to guests might just be ignored, but the host is the one responsible.
So - any idea what can be done without canceling trip reservation and getting bad review?
Thank you

6 Replies 6
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @David8879 , 

That's an interesting question! Do you speak Portuguese by any chance? If so, it might be worth asking Hosts on the Portuguese-speaking Community Center as they might have more experience with this, and be able to share some advice with you!

Thanks, 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hi David,

Navigating the passport details requirement can indeed be tricky. One thing you can consider is to introduce an online check-in. This means guests must complete their online check-in by submitting the passport details to receive the check-in instructions.

You could communicate this clearly to the guests in advance: "To ensure your smooth arrival and compliance with regulations, please complete our online check-in. Only after this step will you receive the necessary check-in details."

By tying the registration with the check-in, you're making it an essential part of their stay, which should encourage compliance. Furthermore, ensuring guests that the data collection process is secure and for their safety and legal requirements can help alleviate any concerns they might have.

Hope this offers a solution!

Best wishes

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center. 

Koly0
Level 1
San Jose, CA

@David8879 I see SEF has been abolished by law since Oct 2021: 

“The SEF (Serviços de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras), or the Foreigners and Borders Service, has officially ended, after the announcement of its reformation back in 2021. The Agência para a Integração, Migrações e Asilo (AIMA) is now the official entity taking care of migration and integration issues in Portugal.”

Should hosts still ask for the sensitive information? 

Gearoid1
Level 2
County Dublin, Ireland

hiya -

I found the site where that was taken from: pearls of portugal.

I have asked them to confirm their stance on it, as I believe that it is still a requirement to register your non portuguese guests.

Given that I believe it is still a requirement, I am a little frustrated that airbnb do not provide a facility around this and that they are not familiar with the details for a specific country (e.g. a country manager for portugal in Airbnb) to make themselves aware of the requirements and somehow help the hosts... problem is that airbnb do not want to take ownership of the legalities, which is fair enough I suppose...but they did have a system in place where I had to prove I had my AL... so they are aware of some things around the local requirements.

as suggested above....withholding the  check in details until they fill in the details I see as a bad idea....Typically the check in details are provided a day or two in advance of arrival, so if you cancel then, you may miss out on getting your property rented in the following few days...what is the property was booked for a week, or two?!

NOW as Airbnb do not provide the facility I cannot see a way that will allow me automatically cancel a booking in a way that does not impact my listing being blackmarked by airbnb for canceling on a customer.

However, this is the approach I have taken...

As part of the booking process, before a guest confirms, you have the ability to add text/conditions.  I set this out: that we have to get their details by law, that they must fill in the details online ( I found another company to provide this service at another fee), and that if they do not fill in the details within a week of booking  I will cancel the reservation.

I appreciate that if I cancel , I will have to contact airbnb to explain the reasons and reclaim any status I may have... but I am hoping that pointing to my conditions will mean that I am within my rights.

Here is the problem... since I have put that in, we have not had any bookings.  I did have a booking in the calendar before I set it up and I asked them to fill in the details, but they have not as yet done it.  so I can't say for sure it will work.

Considerations for Airbnb... if I have to pay 5 euro a month for a service to get the details and submit them to the SEF on my behalf costs me 5 euro a month... money that could be going to airbnb if they provided the service themselves?

Gearoid1
Level 2
County Dublin, Ireland

as a follow up 

pearls of portugal came back to me

thank you for your message. You can find more information about the dissolution of SEF here:

https://www.idealista.pt/en/news/legal-advice-in-portugal/2023/11/30/5778-goodbye-sef-hello-aima-fin...

The fact that SEF was dissolved does not mean that you do not have report guest anymore. The ojectives of SEF where taken over by other institutions in Portugal like AIMA.

Wagner147
Level 1
Ponta Delgada, Portugal

SEF was replaced by Unidade de Coordenação de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras - UCFE. The requirements of information still unchanged and mandatory.