Problem guest Airbnb removed review and guest calls in to repost. Help!

Lauren2677
Level 2
Gilroy, CA

Problem guest Airbnb removed review and guest calls in to repost. Help!

We have been super hosts for 7 years and never any major issues with anyone. We recently had a guest stay in our home for 4 days where she used the pool heater the entire stay and all the amenities. She messaged me on the last day of her checkout that my neighbor was doing their backyard and it was so bothersome she wants a full refund. We feel she was taking advantage of the situation in my neighbors yard to get a free stay. The Airbnb refund policy states to report within 24 hours and also has to be on our property. 

I believe Airbnb support was outsourced because they somehow issued her a refund of half even though it stated she wouldn’t qualify by their policy. We even offered a discount prior to Airbnb getting involved but the pool heating and other expense she used, we couldn’t justify full refund. 

Now she waiting to post a review on the last day she could in retaliation of us not being able to give her a full refund. She violated Airbnb’s review policy bc she talks about my neighbors listing in the review and states dates that he put on his Airbnb listing. It was able to get removed. However, the guest called back and somehow put it back on. Then I had to call again and remove the review. And once again, the guest called and put it back on our page. Support is not helpful and they are telling me a supervisor will call me which they haven’t. This feels so unsupportive especially because they gave her money out of account which didn’t even qualify under their refund policy and now they are letting her call in and repost a review that violates their policy twice now. Please any help anyone can give. We are getting nowhere with the outsourced support. 

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lauren2677 

I read the review of the guests and also your review for the guest and her comment on it.

My first impression was: Airbnb, please limit reviews to less words, because it needs some persitancy to continue to the end of such long stories.

It is rather strange a guest demands a full refund on the last day of the stay, without mentioning the issues at the host on day one. A 50% refund, granted by Airbnb, seems to me very generous already..

The "landscaping" or "construction work" at the neighbours house can be a significant nuisance, so the impact should not be underestimeeted, it will also vary between guests how it is experienced. But at least be very clear about it in your listing.

So now there is a bad long review on your profile and the guest profile.
If Airbnb do not want to remove it, you still can leave a comment on the review you received. A full refund is out of the question and using the review system to achieve such goal seems to me some kind of blackmail. Airbnb should recognize this and maybe all reviews/comments better to be removed.

Lauren2677
Level 2
Gilroy, CA

Thank you for the response and reading this. Yes we understand a neighbor's yard can be a nuisance to certain degrees. We wanted to get the full scope so we spoke with the landscaping company as they let us know exactly what was going on and when, which unfortunately seemed to be exaggerated by her. Its disappointing the outcome, we tried to offer a partial refund for something that was out of our control but tried to make it right and she still had no remorse. If it were something at our home or listing, I can understand a full refund. Yes, I agree and not sure how Airbnb can allow a retaliation review because in her private message to me she put she loved our home and experience and would love to come back when the landscaping was done. It was only until she realized she wasn't getting a full refund she thought to slander us. I am unclear how they can remove a review then she puts it on again and it goes in that cycle the next day. I replied to her review since I am not confident Airbnb will support us in removing it again and quite frankly have spent so much time on this situation I am done calling in Airbnb for their faults.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Lauren2677  Yes, Airbnb CS are outsourced call center workers who don't know a lick of Airbnb policy and will lean whichever way the wind happens to be blowing the day you call in.

No need to worry about that bothersome review (or should I call it a novel?) Anyone attempting to read it will fall asleep before they get through half of it. Airbnb guests are notoriously bad at reading anything. You have a great rating and lots of good reviews. This one will soon be buried. 

Thanks for your response. Airbnb support is so disappointing for hosts. I do not feel they will help in situations now and it is not a pleasant feeling. 
I wish they could hear the dissatisfaction of their support. 

Carol215
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

Hi Lauren, put on your big girl panties... ABNB doesn't give a hoot about our problems. Years ago the host had the upper hand...now the guests do. I shake my head all the time. I own 2 rentals and manage 2 more. I try not to be hurt by reviews that I can't control. I have a strict refund policy (we are at the Jersey shore, summers are short) and yet ABNB have given refunds to people who cancel/ cut short their stays despite my having proof of no issues. So I use zillow rentals a lot now!  It allows me to pick and choose better. Good luck and hang in there! 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"I wish they could hear the dissatisfaction of their support. "

Oh, I can assure you they are well aware. They simply don't care. Their solution to massive complaining about Airbnb, regardless of what it's about, is to do damage control by issuing feel-good press releases full of BS rhetoric.