Refund to closed account and AirBNB not responding

Efrain47
Level 2
Miami, FL

Refund to closed account and AirBNB not responding

I made a reservation with Airbnb several months ago and when my plans changed and was still within my refund period I went ahead and canceled my trip to recieve my refund. In the mean time I had closed my account at the bank I had during the original reservation. Airbnb claims that the refund was sent to the bank whether or not I had an account, they are holding it. After several calls with my previous bank and Google pay no one sees the existence of the transactions. When I go back to Airbnb they gave me a receipt of the "refund" ignoring the fact that the processor message line read " Error 91 - Please Retry". After discussing and sharing this failed refund receipt with a Google pay representative they confirm this transaction never happened. After that I have called airbnb explaining the situation for probably the 30th time and they assured me that they understood the situation and confirmed the receipt read "please retry" that someone from payments department will contact me to send me the refund.  Instead, I got a new message from a representative named "Rama" re-stating that the bank probably has it and that I should try contacting them again ignoring all the details in the case. When I replied that the receipt I'm supposed to show to the banks says code 91 (the Google pay code for failed transactions) please retry I haven't gotten any response. It has been over a week now since ramas first message and I have not gotten. I called today to speak with someone new and after several transfers speaking with support they finally told me to keep waiting for "Rama". Has anyone had any luck getting AIRBNB to actually admit a refund wasn't processed? It is starting to seem like they are trying to delay this refund for as long as possible. It has been over a month since I was supposed to get me original refund.

5 Replies 5
Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Efrain47 

I'm sorry to hear about this.

Did you ever get an update from Airbnb Support or any further assistance?

Let us know, and if not we'll see what we can do to get you some help.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

I need help desperately. It's been over a month now. I got all the information support requested (date refund was sent back, retrival reference number, associated ARN, refunded amount) from the bank and shared that information with support but they continue to reject issuing my refund demanding an official letter from the bank. As far as my bank Is aware, they have the refund and don't need anything from to to resolve this they should be able to see it them selves that the refund didn't work especially with all the information I have gotten. It seems like they are just coming up with w.e. excuse not to re-issue my refund.

@Efrain47 where exactly Refrain do you think the refund can go ?You must go into your Airbnb account and change the account number . Otherwise its just like a train coming to a cliff , there is nowhere for it to go and it will shuttle back and forth forever. It must not be the only transaction on this old card , so where do you think the others went.?... H

All my payment information in my account has been updated they still tried to return the refund to the old account. The other vendors (Alaska airlines) in this situation for me attempted a refund to my old account and within days was asking for an updated account since it doesn't exist. Airbnb is the only one refusing the reissue the refund even though the receipt they provided me says (Failed Error code 91 - Please Retry). They refuse to even address the fact that their proof says that and need some proof from my bank but the bank says they are the ones who have access to their transactions. I can't give proof a transaction DIDNT happen

Efrain47
Level 2
Miami, FL

STILL NO REFUND: 1 Month after I was supposed to get my refund and AIRBNB is still arguing that they already gave it to me. I have provided them with the exact information they needed from the bank. Specifically, the last bank statement showing it was closed, the date the refund was sent back to AIRBNB, retrival reference number / ARN of the returned transaction. When they provide me with a receipt of the refund it says "Failed Error 91 z Please retry". AIRBNB continues to tell me that I have the money even though every bank, person involved and their own records show that the refund failed. When I call on the phone they tell me that there us nothing I can do that I just need to keep replying to "Rama" through the chat on the app. Completely useless, Rama replies days later usually ignoring any of my replies. Why is there no one working at AIRBNB that can resolve a simple situation.