Responding to a bad review

Answered!
Kaela82
Level 3
Denver, CO

Responding to a bad review

I got my first 3 star review. As I was reading the review the guest lied.

I am a property manager and manage the Airbnb for the owner of the home. I informed the guest of this and she got upset, which I didn't know she was even upset until the review. The owner of the home had to leave in a hurry and accidentally forgot to move her car, which has never happened before. My listing states there is a parking spot for the guests along with free street parking. Due to the owner leaving her car behind, the guests had to park on the street. The guest ended up texting me on my private phone number asking why the street parking wasn't free. I said it was free but during the week you do have to move the car after every 3 hours until 6pm, then you can park all day on the weekends. She texted me on a Friday afternoon, and she showed up the evening before at 7pm. I informed her that I asked the owner of the home if there was an alternative spot and she stated there was also free guest parking in the huge lot behind the building, she replied saying they found parking and I didn't have to do anything else. So I figured everything was fine. I also told her that if she needed any kind of assistance for the remainder of her stay to just let me know. She never replied back.

Once she posted her review she stated that I didn't offer her any alternatives including money, that my check in instructions were wrong and not true (I send the exact same check in instructions to every guest and never had an issue, I saw her on the RING doorbell and she got into the house just fine), and that my listing was extremely misleading and she wouldn't have booked if she knew there wasn't parking. She made it sound like I basically told her she was SOL. She said all I said to her was "yeah there's no parking and the owner left her car." I sent her a message stating that if I would've known she had to pay for parking, I would have reimbursed her immediately but she didn't even mention it was paid parking. I did ask her how much she paid for parking and sent her reimbursement for it.  I also stated that I was confused because I did offer an alternative. She then said "no you didn't, I checked the lot and every single parking spot was full so I just decided to move on with my day." She never informed me of this information either or else I would've figured something else out for her. The lot is very big and every single time I have been at that building, it has never been full so I was a bit surprised about that as well. Every other guest I have had stay has never complained about any of the parking, whether it be a weekday or weekend. She stated that I misled her and it's not the guests responsibility to find parking. 

I did let the owner know and we figured out a new system so that her car never gets left behind a again like this one time. I did also contact Airbnb to dispute the review which they told me they wouldn't do it since the guest texted me instead of sending me a message on Airbnb and also this was "relevant to the guests stay since it was her experience". Which is totally fine except I have proof that she lied. So it just sucks. I want to reply to the review and give my side and call her out basically but in a nice professional way, of course. 

When I respond to the review, what is the best way of going about it? And is the guest able to reply back?

I do feel bad about the parking situation however I did what I could to help at the time so, was I in the wrong?

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Kaela82 I would leave the following response:

I am so sorry about the parking issue. We will ensure in future that the off-street parking is available when people stay. As you know we have refunded your parking costs and can only apologise again for the inconvenience.

Responses are only relevant to future guests hence why this is really directed at them.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I would just say something like the parking situation has been fixed, and you have reimbursed the guest with the parking fee (i would reimburse the guest with the parking fee).

This situation could have been handled a lot better though. 

Also I wouldn't try to dispute this review, because it IS the guest's experience, and I don't think you can get it removed. But going forward, I would keep all the conversation inside of Airbnb instead of in WhatsApp/text messages.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Kaela82 I would leave the following response:

I am so sorry about the parking issue. We will ensure in future that the off-street parking is available when people stay. As you know we have refunded your parking costs and can only apologise again for the inconvenience.

Responses are only relevant to future guests hence why this is really directed at them.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Kaela82, thank you for sharing this situation with our community.

Mike and Zheng have offered excellent suggestions. Have you had a chance to read them? How did things turn out with this guest?

Please keep us posted.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad