Reviewing a poor guest

Heather1419
Level 1
Windsor, Canada

Reviewing a poor guest

I recently had guest who refused to check out on time. I finally got them out 3 hours past checkout time. They claimed to be sleeping but I could hear them moving around in the house the few times I tried to knock. Upon checking out, I found they had been smoking in the unit (against the rules) and there were blood stains on blankets and the shower curtain, both will have to be replaced. There was blood elsewhere that I was able to clean up. No apologies were given after check out. Obviously, I don’t want to leave a positive review and want to warn other hosts. When I called, they answered the phone as their business phone. I looked up the business and could see it’s a house where likely the person lives. It’s not a great area of town. I’m worried a negative review might lead to further damage or problems at the property. Any ideas of what I should do?

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Heather1419  I have read  before from hosts of some fear of physical retaliation from an honest review of terrible guests but never read of any host actually experiencing such a thing. Guests, especially bad ones, do not take reviews anywhere nearly as seriously as hosts do.

Of course you never should risk your personal safety, but fears of retaliation, beyond some possible nasty messages, which you can ignore, seem to be unfounded.

A simple honest review would be in order. "Failed to follow house rules, overstayed check-out time by 3 hours, extensive cleaning time required as well as damaged items. Would not host again."