Check in and check out times

Jacinta49
Level 1
Selby, Australia

Check in and check out times

HI all, for our airbnb property we allow guests to arrive anytime on their first day and leave anytime on their last day.  We feel it's important for them to be able to relax and timetable their arrival and departure to suit themselves.  Often families have to accommodate babies and young children nap times, plus we feel that if they have paid to be a guest they should have flexibility to fit in one more meal/swim/shop before they have to head back to normal life.  

Now obviously for the peak summer period that can't always happen, but otherwise it makes absolutely no difference to us if the guest checks in in the morning or checks out after dinner.  The cleaner comes the next day and everyone is happy.

I have noticed (especially lately)  that when I am a guest in an airbnb that there seems to be quite rigid check in and check out times - even when there is no need.  It's highly unlikely the cleaner will be booked for a sunday afternoon, for example.  And for the distance we travel and the increased prices we now pay (and charge), guests are spending less and less time in the property.  It's becoming a real turn-off and not value for money.  

I'm wondering what other hosts think of this and if we really need to be so rigid about this?  For the amount of money we are now paying (as guests) and receiving (as hosts) surely this would be a wonderful way to promote the friendly and accommodating vibe of airbnb?

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jacinta49  "It's highly unlikely the cleaner will be booked for a sunday afternoon, for example. "

What??? Plenty of hosts take back to back bookings and of course their cleaners come on a Sunday if that is when guests are checking out and new guests checking in.

Not all hosts leave a days prep time hetween bookings, in fact I woukd venture a guess that most hosts don't. One person checks out by 10 or 11 am, the place gets cleaned and restocked,  and the next guest checks in after 3pm.

Personally I do leave a day's prep time between bookings, so my check in window is 11am-11pm and check out by 4pm. But that is the exception in Airbnb world, not the norm.

What you are referring to as "rigid" is a matter of losing a night's booking fees. Few hosts who are striving for full occupancy are willing to give up anywhere from $50- $1000 just to accommodate guests who want to check in early and check out  late.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jacinta49  "...even when there is no need" ? How could you possibly be privvy to the inner workings and schedule of any particular listing? We do same day turnovers. Allowing a day or more between bookings is a luxury that only some can afford. In the early days, I did try to accomodate early check in requests, as I was able (usually could swing an hour or so), but it was stressful, and 99 percent of the time, the guest would end up checking in hours later. So as a rule, I don't deviate anymore. Most of our guests are driving here anyway, not flying. They are well able to plan their arrival and departure times to fit.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Jacinta49 

I would suggest that you set and enforce very specific check in and check out times. Our exception is that if we complete the guest changeover early, we may let our guest know that the cottage is ready. We don't advertise. We do a 4 pm check in and and an 11 am check out. 

You need to ensure that you have time in case of cleaning/bad guest to solve the situation before your next guests.