Scam??

Eric5959
Level 1
Jackson, OH

Scam??

We just had a guest claim the apartment smelled like weed so bad, they couldn't stay.  I know this is false and after they made that comment, they preceded to add the hot tub was shared but its not and the platform below was unable to stand there.  Hot tub is solely for guests use, and they have a deck and below is the ground by the firepit and patio overlooking the river. Not sure what that comment was about and this was made within 6 minutes of them entering the space.  Seems highly suspicious.

I am not too tolerant of lies and I had a tenant and my cleaning lady stop by after I insisted they leave to see if there is a smell like what they described.  No, its possibly cleaning chemicals or the newly remodeled bathroom.  But it was a faint smell from what they said, but not weed.  

Has anyone had a guest try to claim a smell so they could get a free stay or discount?  You can't really prove them wrong if you aren't there.  This is , to me, a tactic used because its based off of their opinion and subjective.  Airbnb wanted documentation but its difficult to show a smell.  I sent the copy of my text messages from my tenant and maid, and airbnb said it proved there was a smell and would side with the guest.  Just because they said it was so bad they couldn't stay, and my proof was there may be a faint smell of paint or cleaning chemicals, these people get away with their claim?  Side note: this place is so clean, you could eat off the floors.  

The profile for them was new, no reviews, and that is something another host said you should watch out for.  Can anyone give me some advice about this situation.

Thanks for you help

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just confirm to the guest that you have had two people independently verify that there is no weed smell at the property following them raising concerns and confirm the hot tub as described in the listing is for their sole use  and is easily accessible from the deck.. That al' that could be smelt was a faint smell of cleaning products 

its a shame you shared those messages with Airbnb as they are now likely to side with the guest . 

i am not sure why you insisted the guests left rather than meeting your representative at the property. 

@Eric5959 

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Eric5959 

The way I handle issues like this is I tell the Guest if the smell is that bothersome, please call Airbnb cancel in full their reservation and request a refund.  I have no way of determining what somebody smells or doesn't smell.  Just like no one can determine what I smell.  Guests that weren't being truthful, probably most, make their on decision to not bother.  The 10% that do I refund and they find another location something really bugged their nose.