So Embarrassed

Answered!
Rick4734
Level 1
San Diego, CA

So Embarrassed

Has anyone had a guest check into a listing that was not cleaned?  My cleaning person got sick and I was not informed until after my guest had checked in that she did not clean the room.  We always greet our guests at the door for our private bedrooms, but we also have a self check-in instructional video for when we have to be out of the house.  That was the case yesterday.  I was called by my cleaner's spouse about her medical emergency after our guest had checked in.  We are so embarrased by this as the "wow-factor experience of entering our rooms was taken away from the guest and they had to deal with the condition of the room from the previous guest.  She let us in to clean it today after her first of two nights.  I've given a refund and offered free snacks in addition to an apology via the app and a note.  Not much more I can do, but still freaking out as this had never happened to us before.  I do realize that despite this unavoidable, yet unfortunate series of events, she still has the full right to post a poor review.  I can only hope she understands our situation and our attempts to make it right.  

1 Best Answer
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hi @Rick4734 ,

It's clear from your message that you've done everything in your power to rectify the situation and make it right for your guest. Offering a refund, free snacks, and a sincere apology shows your dedication to customer service and your genuine concern for your guests' experience. You've demonstrated professionalism and compassion in your response, and I'm sure that your guest will appreciate your sincere attempt to amend the issue.

I know it's unsettling to think about the possibility of receiving a poor review despite your efforts to resolve the issue. We are not big hotel chains; we are individuals trying to do our best, and mistakes happen. As much as I try to avoid it, I am sure it will happen to me one day too! What's most important is how you've handled it, and you are actually an example of good hosting behavior.

Please try not to be too hard on yourself.

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hi @Rick4734 ,

It's clear from your message that you've done everything in your power to rectify the situation and make it right for your guest. Offering a refund, free snacks, and a sincere apology shows your dedication to customer service and your genuine concern for your guests' experience. You've demonstrated professionalism and compassion in your response, and I'm sure that your guest will appreciate your sincere attempt to amend the issue.

I know it's unsettling to think about the possibility of receiving a poor review despite your efforts to resolve the issue. We are not big hotel chains; we are individuals trying to do our best, and mistakes happen. As much as I try to avoid it, I am sure it will happen to me one day too! What's most important is how you've handled it, and you are actually an example of good hosting behavior.

Please try not to be too hard on yourself.