The Geneva Convention of “Essentials”

The Geneva Convention of “Essentials”

As a user of AirBnb I think I’m just about done with this 1 pillow 1 blanket, and probably no soap, other than the dishes because you have to do them, and no way to filter out the overly stingy listings, but given the option to require a hair dryer. Because I definitely won’t pick a place without a hair dryer, soap and bedding are optional of course. 

So is this just how it’s going to be? It’s like running a for profit POW camp? 😜

11 Replies 11
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@John7314 I find this faintly ridiculous. You probably have a choice of dozens of places to stay with Airbnb. You can choose based on the amenities they offer and the reviews they have been given. Of course if you want a cookie cutter stay then choose a Marriot or a Hilton or whatever your budget runs to.

You can’t filter on essentials, like bedding and soap, the option is mysteriously missing. Unless I’m not seeing it?

@John7314 Its not a filter , just scroll down to amenities below the calendar after you open the listing pic.. H

Like you said those there’s dozens, why can’t I just exclude them to begin with? Why do I need to dig through listings that are irrelevant?

@John7314 Its not that difficult really . Get your short list and then check.. Cheers .. H

What are the filters for then? 🙂 Obviously not to find a place to sleep and wash, because those aren’t options.

Of course if you want a cookie cutter stay then choose a Marriot or a Hilton or whatever your budget runs to.

Blankets and soap is cookie cutter? I think this is a hopeless thread. 🙂

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@John7314 I get it John , some hosts are stingy. They think that is how to make a profit . I recently stayed at a very expensive home and stinginess abounded . One small towel per person and about four tea bags , no milk etcetera etcetera. Certainly no lovely welcoming basket. I suggest you look carefully under 'essentials ' and look for some guest reviews that mention other little goodies or snacks or pics of some yummy comestibles . All the best,and when you review suggest to the host that an extra pillow or soap or towel would go a long way to getting better reviews... H

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John7314  As "a user of AirBnB" with no profile, no reviews and unverified, you have strong opinions on where you have never stayed....

Yes,  because the hosts were otherwise fine so I don’t want to

embarrass them,  just AirBnb is being sneaky by omitting the option to filter.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Isn't there a price range filter? The places you are describing sound like they will inevitably fall in the very lowest of the price spectrum, the higher priced ones wouldn't succeed for long if they didn't offer such basic things. Just curious, did you happened to use a price range?