Third party bookings

Answered!
Charls0
Level 2
Hamburg, Germany

Third party bookings

Hi There,

Are we insured as Host from Airbnb if we accept third-party booking?

For example, if a secretary or daughter books a place for their employee or mother.

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Charls0 ,

Third-party bookings are only allowed if the booker owns a business account. All other are a violation of Airbnb terms. So do not accept them. If a secretary is booking for employee: she also must use the companies business account, otherwise do not accept and point them to:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1311/who-can-book-trips-on-behalf-of-someone-else

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27

Thanks for this.

I am currently drawn into this drama at the moment. The instant booking was a third party booking which clearly violates Airbnb TOC. On top of that the booking guest has blatantly refused to comply with my house rules ( involved provision of personal information and ID) and claimed they were a bad fit for my property so I asked him to cancel.  Strict cancellation policy applies. 

Guest contacted Airbnb to cancel and requested for refund but Airbnb is not honouring the cancellation ( even though I have fully supported it). It has been over a week now since I have requested my calendar be kept open but Airbnb has ignored this ask. So frustrating spending time with Airbnb agents who I believe are the greatest liability on this planet, profusely apologising, pretending to understand the issue, agree to do as discussed before closing the call only to log completely different thing on the message box. Disgraceful lot.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Charls0,

Welcome to the Community Center!

It's great to see you asking your question here. I was wondering if you've seen Emiel's reply? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

What maked the matter worse is the fact that I cant tell who is a third party booker till they disclose it themselves. There needs to be a flag that shows up when its a 3rd party booking.

I hesitate with 3rd party bookings because I do not want someone I have not personally verified/ read reviews of to show up at my door.

Kate542
Level 2
Hadleigh, United Kingdom

We have recently received a few 3rd party bookings on behalf of friends or family. They have always been very pleasant people but the basic problem is that they are not the person who has agreed to our house rules and may not even have seen them, so we end up with people arriving outside our check in times, or unaware of the room configurations. It's basically just hassle we don't need!

Olivia339
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi,  does anyone know how I find out if someone has a business account to book their work colleges in to my home!  I have a  booking for Two days time and I asked them to clarify the names of the people that are staying in my house and I have asked them to confirm that the people staying have read and agree to the house rules. So far I only have one name and no conformation to my request about the rules!  I am a little apprehensive as this is my first booking and so far I have only got one name which is not the name of the person who booked. They have said that they will confirm the other guests name on Thursday. So clearly, the Booker is not one of them. There are a few very negative reviews about some of the guests that have been booked by this person and when I took the booking, I did not realise that it was being booked for third party use. What should I do? Many thanks Olivia. 

Contact Air BNB to have the acceptance declined as a third party booking.  Advise the booking guest of the necessity of the step as your request for information has not been met.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB.  It is possible that Air BNB will be able to contact the booking guest and clarify if this person is registered as an approved third party booker under the business option.  If so, then Air BNB should inform the booking guest that all guests need to be named.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Good luck!

Luke522
Level 1
Knoxville, TN

I recently had a third party booking. The person who booked lied about why they were coming. Instead, several other individuals (not the guest that booked) showed up and were smoking weed, drinking, and throwing a party. They broke countless policies and rules. I was forced to terminate their reservation. 2 days later the person who booked, but didn’t show…. Gave me a bad review resulting in my superhost account being suspended. 

i requested their review to be removed given that guest not only broke Airbnb’s third party booking policy, but never actually visited the property. 

i am being told they will not remove the review. This is mind blowing to me. Ps. I have provided tons of evidence of them smoking, additional guests, etc…. To prove my accusations. Yet, I am once again face with the brick wall that is Airbnb’s customer support

@Luke522 

This is happening to me right now. Guest booked for her boyfriend, boyfriend caused a ton of damages, the guest says *in writing on Airbnb messenger* "I booked this for my boyfriend, I didn't stay there. He said he didn't break anything"

Airbnb helped me cover damages after I did an Aircover request but now they are saying they can't remove the 1 star review?????

@Airbnb admitted that they know this guest never stayed with me, but they have "an internal policy" that is not available to hosts (and she read it to me, so this is an IN WRITING POLICY that affects hosts that they keep secret, even though we are forced to comply with it!?) that basically says they are fine with 3rd party reviews and they are "in-line" with Airbnb review policy. 

The review policy I can see (and therefore agree to by hosting with them) says reviews must be: 

1. Reviews should not violate our content policy

2. Reviews should be unbiased

3. Reviews should be relevant

The content policy states "The following content is not allowed on Airbnb:

- "Listings and profiles that provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information"

- "Attempts to impersonate another person, account, or entity, including a representative of Airbnb"

and that

- "Reviews that contain no relevant information about a host or guest, listing, or experience may be removed"

@Airbnb, It seems clear to me that 3rd party reviews are 

1. In violation of your 3rd party booking policy

2. In violation of your content policy as they are *not relevant to the experience of staying in the Airbnb* and *impersonating the verified guest who is not using or staying in the listing* and *provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information about who was there and their experience. 

3. Are obviously biased 

4. Are not relevant, as the person reviewing NEVER HAS BEEN TO THE AIRBNB

(An example of this would be like me saying that my friend had a bad experience in New York, so the State of New York is terrible) 

Hello Carly, hope all is well. Were you able to have this review removed? Thanks, JD

@Luke522 

After approximately 2 weeks and *so many* hours of phone conversations I did finally get the review removed. 
Here’s my advice on how to get airbnb to enforce their own policies: 

1. Continue to ask for your case to be escalated until someone not reading from a script is willing to actually look at your case, documentation, and information. 

2. Once you get to the right person, clearly outline how you as a host have followed airbnb policy and the guest has not, and that you the host are not not only having to deal with the fallout from a bad guest but also now having to convince airbnb to follow their own written policy to protect you, the rule following host. Their policies are in place to protect both guests *and hosts* and they need to take the impact this situation is having on you, your property, your listing, and your business seriously with all fair and due consideration. (Ie. Not tell you to pound sand) 

3. Remind airbnb how bad and potentially dangerous 3rd party bookings are. Remind airbnb in the same way you should be doing everything in your power as a host to keep 3rd party bookings from happening, airbnb also has a responsibility to discourage and hold 3rd party bookings accountable. Allowing any “internal policies” to uphold, legitimize, and allow for 3rd party bookings is not only in direct contradiction of their online written policy, but also will encourage people who are already abusing the system to continue to break the 3rd party booking rule. Repeat that 3rd party bookings are potentially dangerous to both guests and hosts. Transparency about who is staying in your property is of the utmost importance to all parties involved and that you expect airbnb to take all matters (big or small) related to 3rd party bookings seriously.

4. Remind airbnb they have agreed to verify guests on the hosts behalf. (This is in compliance with their non discrimination policy- you are not able or allowed to know the details of a guest’s identity prior to a reservation) And although you will continue to be a vigilant host and uphold airbnb policy, airbnb is booking a “verified guest” to stay in your property, not you as a host. If they allow for abuse of this system, the verification policy is no longer useful or trustworthy. 

5. *Most important* say exactly this: 

“I have reviewed the [insert all policies relating to case] online. As this is all that is available to me, these are the policies I agreed to when I decided to host my property with airbnb.  I do not know what “internal policy” I am being expected to abide by, as that is not available to me.

If this “internal policy” is not available to hosts and in contrast with your publicly listed policies, you cannot expect to hold hosts accountable for secret policies they do not have access to. 

Here is what I read online on your community policies help center-

The review policy states “reviews must be:

1. Reviews should not violate our content policy
2. Reviews should be unbiased
3. Reviews should be relevant
[provide a link to their own online policy]

The content policy states "The following content is not allowed on Airbnb:
- "Listings and profiles that provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information"
- "Attempts to impersonate another person, account, or entity, including a representative of Airbnb"
and that
- "Reviews that contain no relevant information about a host or guest, listing, or experience may be removed"
[provide a link to their own online policy]

It seems clear that 3rd party reviews are
1. In violation of the 3rd party booking policy
2. In violation of the content policy as they are “not relevant to the experience of staying in the Airbnb” and “impersonating the verified guest” who is not using or staying in the listing and “provide fraudulent, false, misleading, or deceptive information” about who was there and their experience.
3. In violation of the review policy as they are obviously biased
4. In violation of the review policy as they are not relevant, as the person reviewing HAS NEVER BEEN TO THE AIRBNB. 

Based on the written Airbnb policies, this review must be taken down. “ 

6. If they give you any excuse for why it’s OK to justify third-party bookings, keep repeating that you are expected to follow the policies as the host, guests are expected to follow policies as guests, and Airbnb is expected to enforce the policies as written on their website. You are not asking for anything beyond compliance with airbnb policies. Repeat step 5. If this doesn’t work, repeat step 1. 

7. Once someone agrees have the review taken down, please please please please say:
“thank you for your understanding and for upholding your policies to protect me as a host, I take your policies seriously and want to continue to have a good relationship with Airbnb and with my guests. That is why I love hosting with Airbnb.
Third-party bookings are potentially very dangerous, I know this situation was about a review, but any allowance for abuse of the 3rd party booking policy will make the Airbnb platform more dangerous to both guests and hosts. Please start a case to investigate your internal policy that allows for third-party reviews so this does not continue to happen to me or to any other hosts, or even to guests. Your internal policy is not only contradictory to your online policy, but it puts hosts in jeopardy and legitimizes third-party bookings in general.” 

This is probably one of the most frustrating things as a host is dealing with third-party booking, especially the ones that come through without you realizing it and next thing you know you’re playing telephone with someone’s relative and they have access to zero of the paperless details. I can’t tell you how much I dread receiving a message the day before an arrival saying, my dad will be arriving tomorrow, is there anything he should know? Oh my gosh…

The Johnsons

I feel that Airbnb need to monitor bookings more carefully, and filter where necessary, to ensure that they adhere to their own Terms and Conditions.  Airbnb recently accepted a third party booking for my property, it was very obvious that it was third party, when I queried it this was the response from Airbnb:

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Charls0 

Airbnb has a double standard on this topic. 

When you really refuse to open a door to a 3rd party stay, you could be subject to ground rules violations since you withhold access to guests. 

When you have had large damages from 3rd party group, you may be not getting airbnb coverage since they are 3rd party. 

So, in short, I have taken 3rd party guests in a case by case basis. When a guest had 100 5 star reviews, it doesn’t matter if she is 3rd party or not. 

However, if you see 3rd party booking with no previous reviews and is local, watch out!