Transparency in Representing Size of Properties

Richard1826
Level 3
Nashville, TN

Transparency in Representing Size of Properties

AirBnb should require hosts to publish the true size of their properties, in terms of both square meters and square feet.  It is a given that all hosts use wide-angle lenses to make the spaces seem larger than they are, forcing us to discount the photos when evaluating listings.  However, some hosts use these photos to intentionally mislead prospective visitors, even putting words like "vast" and "spacious"  in their descriptions, when the spaces are anything but.   We just returned from a European trip where we stayed in 13 AirBnbs, and four of these were listed with photos that made the apartments look palatial, whereas in reality there wasn't even enough space to open our suitcases.   

I think that AirBnb should mandate all hosts to include the precise size of their lodgings, which is the only way one can evaluate the accompanying photos in context.  To not do so is to aid and abet unscrupulous hosts in  misrepresenting their properties - which may be good for their pocketbooks (and for AirBnb's bottom line), but is not a good practice for long-term client retention.  

51 Replies 51

@Richard1826  I do not use wide angle lens to photograph my Airbnb spaces but would gladly add the square footage to the listing if Airbnb created a place to note it in the listing description.  I understand why many hosts use wide angle lenses as it is difficult to get a photo without one.  Airbnb are slowly adding the ability to provide more information in the property description, and I hope this is added in the future.

Posting the area is not trickery, just the opposite 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Richard1826  That property in Barcelona that you posted the link to- it is run by a property management company that has 8 listings. This kind of deception is practiced much more often by these type of entities than by private hosts. The descriptions usually read like real estate ads, purely extolling the virtues of the place, without mentioning any of the possible negatives (every property has some aspects to it that may make it less than perfect). Private hosts tend to be more forthcoming with information that could be deal breakers for guests, as we don't want dissatisfied guests and poor reviews and because we put our own time, effort and $ into our listings, we try to attract guests who will be a good fit, as if they are unhappy, we tend to take it personally. If we live in an area that is noisy, we'll state that, if it's a 20 minute walk to the nearest grocery store, we want to make sure guests are clear on that point. 

So in your future bookings, you might want to look more at listings which are run by private hosts, rather than property managers with a large portfolio of listings.

I'm curious as to whether the other places that had deceptive photos were also run by property management agencies. 

The square footage of my unit is within the first two lines of my listing. It’s dishonest to use wide lens and not be entirely upfront to potential guests. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Richard1826  If I were to list the dimensions of my guestroom/bathroom, that would actually end up being deceptive, too. Because the room is not a square or rectangular shape, the square footage would give the impression that it was quite small and cramped. But the unusual shape of both the bedroom and bathroom and the fact that it has high ceilings and lots of windows makes it feel much more spacious than it actually is as far as the measurements go.

I believe that the total space measurements should be included in all cases.  Perhaps such a figure would diminish the attractiveness of your lodging, just as it may exaggerate that of other properties.  But unlike photos and host descriptions, a total area calculation presents an objective fact, in a sea of the subjective information in the listing.  If I were buying a house, I wouldn't bother looking at properties listed without  square footage numbers.   A BnB stay is not nearly such a weighty venture, I still think the numbers would be useful in making evaluations.  And unlike real estate sales, we cannot get walkthroughs before buying. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Richard1826 I've often contemplated listing the MEASUREMENTS of my private rooms - ie bedroom measurements. I think square footage would not help. A) I don't know how to work it out! B) Bedroom dimensions give a true picture C) The rest of the house is shared. So if I included bathroom, kitchen, dining room in sq footage - well, you don't get to hang out in common spaces for the whole of your stay! Others have to use bathroom & kitchen & although guests MAY spend relaxation time in my dining/siting room, no one ever does - they all want to hang out in their private space, the bedroom. So if Airbnb made total space by sq ft mandatory, I might have unhappy customers, who were deceived into thinking the space was all theirs!

I agree with @Sarah977  - I under-promise, & hope to over-deliver! I list all the things guests may not like, so as not to get unhappy customers. Agree this is what home share hosts do - 'professional' multi-apartment hosts probably exaggerate like real estate agents.

@Helen350  For your "A"-  square footage is simple- width x length.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 Ah yes, but it becomes complicated if you then have to take account of rooms which aren't square/rectangular, have recesses, fireplaces sticking out,wardrobes occupying floor space, lobbies, landings... - I see the potential for misleading presentations, & irate 'customers'! - Better just to say the bedroom is 7ft x 12ft! (Size of my middle-sized room.)

@Helen350  Oh, I see what you meant. Yes, my room is also an unusual shape. All we need is guests coming equipped with a tape measure, making sure the measurements exactly correspond to what we had written, then demanding a refund because it was actually 6'10", not 7 ft 🙂

Trude0
Level 10
Stockholm County, Sweden

Like most of the hosts that have commented, I don’t use wide-angle either. But I’m sure you’re right in that there are many who do, and agree it would be a good thing if all hosts had to fill in the total square meter/square feet. This for the sake of both guests and more ”honest” hosts 😉

As my listing is a tiny house/compact house, only 25 m2 (269 ft2) + sleeping loft 8,5 m2 (91.5 ft2), I realize there is a big risk that guests feel it is s bit smaller than they expected. I therefore inform of the size in ft2 + m2 in the description, and also have many photos (no wide lens, very little editing). I also mention that although it sleeps 4, it is better suited for 2-3 adults, or families with smaller children. 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Richard1826 I am always careful when US guests said big/small space. Many travellers from US complete forgot that many European city centre spaces are small. So when a host said spacious in some case maybe Spacious to usual norms. Same goes as King Size bed when European write King size bed even with measure, US traveller will disagree with. 

When I was a host in Europe and US guests will ask Size of anything i will notify them according to European Standard. And used to go to the seller website and copy and paste all info or link to avoid any misleading and complaint.

Even if u write the Sq/Feet many guests will ignore it, and focus on pictures, as usual, all important info is never read properly by guests in many cases,

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Richard1826 

All of my listings are homes except 1 which is an apartment (500 square feet). All of them are a good size (much larger than any hotel) and I use professional photos for all of them. I have not had a complaint yet of someone saying the home looked larger in the photos despite them being professional photos.

I know a lot of hosts don't believe in professional photos because they think guests will be underwhelmed when they arrive and give a bad rating. I think that when you display poor photos of a very dark home, you are underwhelming the guest before they even book.. It's important to not exaggerate the photos just like it is important to market your home for the good features that are present (decor, lighting, amenities, whatever they may be).

Also Richard, Italian apartments tend to be a bit smaller than North American apartments from my experience when I had traveled there. When traveling, it's helpful to understand that other parts of the world may have different layouts or architectural norms. If you think the apartments you stayed at were small, you will realize a hotel at the same price point as the airbnb you stayed will be a shoe box in comparison. The bathrooms and apartment sizes of Italian apartments in general are just much smaller so I can see why a lot of Americans who come there will complain.

Richard1826
Level 3
Nashville, TN

@Marie82 @Sean433 

Thanks for your replies.  I have lived in Europe much of my life, and lived almost 20 years in Italy, in both city centers and in country houses.   The Italian concept of living space is not so different from the American concept, and value their "metri quadrati" perhaps more than Americans.  Apartments in city centers were typically quite large until recent years, when many were chopped up to be rental units.   Italians also prefer larger bathrooms, and will never compromise on the space required for a bidet.  Italians do make fun of American-style McMansions, but that's changing too, and you will find plenty of them in the outskirts of places like Brescia, Varese, etc.  

But all this is beside the point.  Hosts really should provide information on the apartment's total living area.   Sure I would like to see a floor plan too, but would be happy with a total area calculation.  As I wrote above, it is one of the few objective facts that can be presented for a property.

Certainly AirBnb lodgings are a good deal compared to hotel rooms, and perhaps hosts should charge more.  That is another discussion for another day.  As for the original topic of transparency, I now understand that I should never stay in a place whose photos were taken with a wide-angle lens, even if that considerably limits the options in particular locations.  Thanks for all the replies!

@Richard1826Just to follow up - I've updated my listing with the total living area measurement (have excluded the utility room for the house, which is contained within the apartment). Thanks again for the idea and for bringing up the concern!