Winter Release Q&A session

Unfair cancellation policy

Answered!
Steven14
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Unfair cancellation policy

hi,

it doesn't  happen often, but I have had two bookings cancel very close to their reservation.

In both cases the guests have claimed exceptional circumstances and have gained a full refund - this has left me with some finicial difficulties. Is it rair that the cancellation policy can be subverted in this way? Surely guests should use travel insurance to recliam their money. What I really find amazign is the attitude of airbnb. They explain that they are a carign organisation and thats the guests had a valid reason for cancelling, but they still retain all of their fees! I am becoming concerend at hostign anyone staying for a longer than a short stay, and I think this policy of refundedign guests needs to change.

Top Answer
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

If you have set your cancellation policy to flexible or moderate, then guests are of course free to cancel according to this policy. This is the case also with booking engines and hotel booking sites, not only airbnb.  The difference is that most airbnb hosts are private owners rather than hotels and more vulnerable to loss due to a cancellation. You could change your policy to strict and this way receive 50%, but you would also risk getting less bookings as many travellers like to have some flexibility.

Personally, I have always had a strict cancellation policy and not had one single cancellation.  

View Top Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Gail-and-Beth0
Level 6
San Diego, CA

Agree, Tom and Lisa.  We've been operating our rentals for years now, and while we partially depend on and appreciate AIRBNB platform, we cannot reconcile this issue of extenuating circumstances policy.  It has always soured our impression of AIRBNB, reinforced the culture divide, and made us consider redirecting our energy toward a business model that works fairly with and for people. And that just might be long term rentals, once again.  We're being exploited by this huge enterprise, on one hand, while also working with them on the ground to keep these rentals legal in San Diego -- for years, now -- and it just doesn't add up to a rewarding experience or authentic partnership.  I truly wish I could say something more positive, but this is our near final analysis, based on AIRBNB's posture.

VillasAmizade0
Level 2
Guia, Portugal

I will be removing  gradually my 7 properties from AIRBNB.. while keeping them 24/7 on VRBO.

airbnb is OFFICIALLY un-educating travelers. Travel Insurance is a basic reflex that i personnally buy every time as a traveler - marginal cost or free using paypal or several CC companies.

Specifically regarding COVID-19. we are in a region of 500.000 inhabitants - 12 cases. Our Estate took measures - no client has at any point contact with personnel or anyone for that matter.

airbnb could offer an option to activate an insure for an extra, NO, lets charge and hurt OWNERS

red card for me

Ross594
Level 1
New York, NY

My superhost status was revolved due to guests canceling and covid canceling. Airbnb is not fair to hosts. This is the worst policy ever and worst company for penalizing hosts for guests cancellations