Unhappy with instant booking

Answered!
Daljit4
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Unhappy with instant booking

I’ve hosted over 300 guests at two properties over the last 5 years. I normally allow guests to book ‘instantly’ as it saves me time.

i was under the impression that if I was ever uncomfortable with a booking I could cancel it within hours if it being made. However, this no longer seems to be the case, and wondered how others feel about this?

Some details: a guest booked for 45 days two months in advance. On booking, guests are automatically asked to outline the reason of their visit. This particular guest didn’t tell me anything, which does happen from time to time. When I asked for some information what followed was an exchange where I was having to explain my reasons for wanting this information. By the end I just felt this guest wouldn’t be a good fit for me, so I tried to cancel their reservation. However I discovered I couldn’t, not without incurring a financial penalty, so I let it go. 

I thought the whole point of encouraging hosts to use instant booking while giving them the reassurance that they still have control over who comes to stay in their place was this ability to say no?

I’m now considering switching off instant booking but reluctant to as it does save me time. 

any thoughts appreciated.

Daljit

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Daljit4  the policy for IB cancellations haven't changed. You can't just cancel for any reason, it needs to fit one of the critieria below.

If a Host uses Instant Book, they may be able to cancel for additional valid reasons without consequences under certain circumstances. Some examples include:

• The guest makes it clear they are likely to break one of the Host’s house rules, such as bringing a pet or smoking
  • The listing doesn’t fit the needs of the guests – for example, if it’s not suitable for families or pets
  • The guest has several unfavourable reviews or a lack of profile information that concerns the Host

View Best Answer in original post

16 Replies 16
Razia504
Level 2
Mon Repos, Saint Lucia

I had the same situation and I fell like I had to take the guests who then gave me a horrible review like I never had and asked for their money back.

when I called airbnb they said they cannot remove the review with 2 stars( I am use to 5) I thought twice about this instant booking and thinking of removing it but can’t seem to find how to do it; will have to call airbnb

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Daljit4 the cancellation policy that you posted is the old one. There is now an updated one and you would be forgiven for thinking that the three cancellations given to IB hosts no longer exist. Have you had more than three Daljit?If no valid reason then you now attract a cancellation fee, so its always wise to wait for the guest to cancel . Its worth looking up the correct info ,although it is a little unclear as it goes hand in glove with the other policies ,such as the your original cancellation policy. In other words it penalises the host automatically for a cancellation ,without taking into account what was previously considered a valid reason .What you considered valid may no longer be so or may require you to provide extra information at the same time or contacting CS before cancelling... H