Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Victoria and surrounding municipalities and MRDT tax collection

Dave264
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

Victoria and surrounding municipalities and MRDT tax collection

Ok, this one has bugged me for a while and I have finally figured out the numbers used. So 1, I am in Langford and ever since Airbnb started collecting MRDT, they have been collecting 3% from all my guests, not the 2% that is expected in Langford. 2. Where is that money going? I have been talking to both Colwood and Langford council. Colwood has confirmed they never 'applied for it' and don't receive anything, and while I didn't get a clear answer from Langford, the amount they collected mentioned in a mail out a few years back clearly implied they are only receiving the MRDT for their hotels.

So whats happening? Is Victoria being handed all of this? Is the government 'holding' it in a side kitty (as if)? While its not huge in Colwood (around $40k/year), its around $150k/year in Langford which would amount to around $900k since MRDT collection begun. Uh, thats a pretty good chunk of change! 

Anyone with insight to this?

1 Reply 1
Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Dave264  😊

Thank you for asking this in the community! 

I will mention some Hosts from Canada that might help you understand this situation better.

@Hitomi3@Mike3317 and @Zheng49.

Thank you in advance everyone for your help. 😍

Warm regards🙏

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center