Violation of house rules - pets and infant

Amandeep-Singh1
Level 2
Brampton, Canada

Violation of house rules - pets and infant

Hello,

We are new hosts, and recently, a guest booked a stay for 2 adults and 1 child but arrived with 2 adults, 1 child, an infant, and 3 dogs. Our listing clearly states a no-infant policy and a limit of 1 dog per stay. These rules are also sent by email a few days before arrival. The guest also requested an early check-in but arrived 2 hours later than agreed.

I suspect they didn’t declare any dogs because the system only allowed them to list one. However, the Airbnb platform can be misleading; when you click “dog-friendly,” the automatic text in the listing uses plural language, saying, “Bring your furry friends,” despite us setting the maximum number to 1. They also didn't declared any infant because it is clear that the house is not safe for infants.

Additionally, they didn’t park in front of the house upon arrival and waited for me to leave before parking 2 cars in the driveway.

I'm also suspicious that there may be more than 2 adults, as their actions raise some concerns.

What should we do?

Thank you in advance

4 Replies 4
Kathy1371
Level 3
Goose Creek, SC

Call Airbnb and report your concerns.

In tandem, text your guest and politely request clarification.

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Amandeep-Singh1 

Your listing says not recommended and high supervision required.  It does not say no young children or infants.  Then you also don't state your limit on pets. 

Depending on the length of the reservation you might want to consider how you approach.           

Hello Marie, 

I've contacted Support regarding the pet limit and yes, they confirmed that limitation is set up in my listing as 1 maximum pet. Airbnb Support explained that when a guest book, the have to press the counter for adult, kids, infant and pets. When you clic on pet, only 1 appear. That's how it is supposed to work . Also, it is in my house rules sent to the guest the day of reservation and again, 48hours before arrival, it is clearly that my max pet is 1. However, at no point in our communications, the guest mentioned she was coming with 1 pet...... so imagine my surprise to see 3. Usually, when I know there will be 1 pet, I remove rugs and so on. This time, I could not.

I understand for the infant, It is not prohibited, but the setting 'not recommended to children under 2yo' . If I'm aware an infant will be joining, I will do my best to warn the guest of  the various hazards of the house, even removing thing to be sure.

I let them stay but, as Airbnb support told me, guest have to be honest and enroll the exact number of people, kids, infant and pets when they do a reservation and if things changes, it is their responsibility to warn the host.... before arrival, not at the door.

This is my main concern

Am I wrong in my understanding of how it is supposed to work and about the guest responsibilities?

@Amandeep-Singh1 

I would double check rhe reservation to see if they did state an infant because I could  My listing I don't allow children because I smoke  I still get requests from parents saying it is okay