Welcome note - Newbie to Airbnb !!

Answered!
Dr-Jayanthi1
Level 8
Coimbatore, India

Welcome note - Newbie to Airbnb !!

It’s always good to look at guest ratings and decide hosting- but the Airbnb market is fast expanding there are many first time enquiries too. Are we prepared or does Airbnb prepare guests what to expect and what could not be possible on airbnb stays?

First time Airbnb guests could come with expectations on standards set by hotels. What might not be available on check ins are - 

1. Staff/ Host greetings at entrance

2. Luggage pick up 

3. Room service and variety with food

4. House keeping

An Airbnb stays could be unique or a challenge on the below

1. Self Check in

2. Unique/ varying interiors

3. Cook their preferred cuisine by themselves

4.  Self keep /maintain cleanliness of the premises.

5. Handling garbage.

6. Shared spaces

Unless Guests understand the basis of how the homestay model works it remains a challenge to both hosts and guests.

In addition the review process is often mishandled by both the parties.

On the host front do I welcome a guest with no previous stay experience or  no review with a  presumption that they could understand and appreciate homestays or do I decline the request. On the guest front if they do not understand the homestay model they end up leaving poor ratings to hosts for no valid reasons.

When  hosts try to state do’s and don’t s on these regards its considered against hospitality standards.Hence does a first time Airbnb customer be given a specific welcome note/awareness(by Airbnb)?

Spice it up/Voice over your concerns.

Happy hosting.

1 Best Answer
Frederick153
Level 3
Santa Monica, CA

Hi there @Dr-Jayanthi1 ,

You’ve raised some very valid points about managing expectations for first-time Airbnb guests. It’s crucial for both hosts and guests to understand the differences between traditional hotel stays and the Airbnb experience. Here’s a perspective on how to handle this:

For Hosts:

1. Clear Communication: Make sure your listing clearly outlines what is and isn’t provided. Include information on self-check-in, any shared spaces, and the lack of hotel-like amenities such as room service or daily housekeeping.

2. Welcome Book: A well-crafted welcome book can be incredibly helpful for first-time guests. It should explain the basics of the Airbnb experience, including how to handle garbage, maintain cleanliness, and use any amenities. It’s also a great place to provide local recommendations and instructions for using appliances.

3. Guest Preparation: Consider sending a pre-arrival message that highlights key aspects of the Airbnb experience. This can help set expectations and ensure guests are aware of what to expect.

Effective communication with guests is key to ensuring they understand the Airbnb experience and have a pleasant stay. Providing clear, upfront information about what’s included and what to expect can help set realistic expectations and avoid misunderstandings.

A well-organized welcome book can be a great tool for this. It can outline the basics of the Airbnb experience, from self-check-in to handling garbage and maintaining cleanliness. Customizable templates for creating these welcome books can make the process much easier and more professional. sites like templacity or others have some great options to help you get started.

Review Guidance: Encourage guests to leave honest feedback and remind them that the review system is there to help future travelers. You can also respond to reviews to clarify any misunderstandings and provide your perspective.

Happy hosting!

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Frederick153
Level 3
Santa Monica, CA

Hi there @Dr-Jayanthi1 ,

You’ve raised some very valid points about managing expectations for first-time Airbnb guests. It’s crucial for both hosts and guests to understand the differences between traditional hotel stays and the Airbnb experience. Here’s a perspective on how to handle this:

For Hosts:

1. Clear Communication: Make sure your listing clearly outlines what is and isn’t provided. Include information on self-check-in, any shared spaces, and the lack of hotel-like amenities such as room service or daily housekeeping.

2. Welcome Book: A well-crafted welcome book can be incredibly helpful for first-time guests. It should explain the basics of the Airbnb experience, including how to handle garbage, maintain cleanliness, and use any amenities. It’s also a great place to provide local recommendations and instructions for using appliances.

3. Guest Preparation: Consider sending a pre-arrival message that highlights key aspects of the Airbnb experience. This can help set expectations and ensure guests are aware of what to expect.

Effective communication with guests is key to ensuring they understand the Airbnb experience and have a pleasant stay. Providing clear, upfront information about what’s included and what to expect can help set realistic expectations and avoid misunderstandings.

A well-organized welcome book can be a great tool for this. It can outline the basics of the Airbnb experience, from self-check-in to handling garbage and maintaining cleanliness. Customizable templates for creating these welcome books can make the process much easier and more professional. sites like templacity or others have some great options to help you get started.

Review Guidance: Encourage guests to leave honest feedback and remind them that the review system is there to help future travelers. You can also respond to reviews to clarify any misunderstandings and provide your perspective.

Happy hosting!

Helo @Frederick153 - thank you for the elaborate reply. I loved every bit of it. With seven years of hosting experience i relate to the minuscule details in your reply. But in reality guests do have to go through the process for a couple of times prior to being seasoned with a novel system. I am sure they do and that’s how we hosts are able to take up hosting with a passion. I do accept that your note does encourage me to take a little extra effort to place my newbie into these comfortable spot. Will surely do so. How many of your guests are First time Airbnb users? Can you share your experience?