What things do you look for as a guest?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What things do you look for as a guest?

Guests.jpg

Hey there everyone,

When we prepare our home for our guests, we try to think of even the smallest detail to ensure everything is perfect. We want our guests to feel comfortable and enjoy listing! So, what happens when the roles reverse and hosts become guests? We also want our trip to be a special and unforgettable experience and where we stay plays a big part.

What are the things that you look for in a listing, when you become a guest?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

80 Replies 80
Michel734
Level 1
Randle, WA

I have been a guest. I do not like shoddy kitchen or bath towels, faded old looking oR RIPPED bedding. Also do not like it when it is really difficult to lock or unlock door, or have to search forca parking place. I wanr to be able to parl and unload easily. I like the place to be warm when i arrive if it is cold outside and cool when its hot. I do not want to smell cooking odors or pets when j arrive. I want to be able to leave the porchlight on when i choose for my comfirt and safety . . . Like arriving or leaving after dark.i am a picky guest and do my absolute best to assyr that when someone walks through the door of ISLANDIA COTTAGE it is an aaaaahhhhh moment.

Kathryn304
Level 2
Brevard, NC

I have been hosting since April and absolutely love it!  Meeting lots of lovely people.  Enjoying reading about what other hosts like in a listing!  I now ask if they use Glade or any other air fresheners as I can't tolerate the toxicity.  When I asked the woman at one place I rented if could take them out she laughed and said, "yes, lots of people ask me that, but I like a little Hawaiian scent."  I left after the first night of a 3 night stay because of it.   Disgusting smell in the sheets, towels, bedding!  Wondered what she was trying to cover up.  Even animals around that much scent can't smell anymore!

Got to have my own bathroom and I provide a separate bath as well, as well as nice bedding and a thoughtful and lovely decor - no junk, clutter, or old furniture - I want a room that is solely for my use.  I'm realizing as I host that most people do not bother to even read the rules and in my house; they are legion.  Some people really seem to enjoy my thoroughness because they're not impossible.  And I like having rules of the house made known in the listings.  The above lady with the Glade had maybe two rules and I wondered about that and now I know.  The first person who stayed with me, as be broke a couple of my rules, told me in the private space that if I'm going to rent to strangers, I need to be flexible.  Glad he said that because I realized that though he may be paying, he is in MY home so he gets to be flexible and do as he said he would by renting from me.  I do like to be flexible, especially with the young people who come and have no clue what it is to be quiet between the hours of 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.  But truly, I'd like to refuse to host anyone younger than 25.

I always communicate with a host and tell them my full name and my roommates name and a little about our trip and I also have info about me in my profile.  So amazing to me how many people have hardly any info about themselves and I'm left to guess.  Plus, they tell me they are bringing a "friend" but don't bother to tell me the name even or anything about their trip.  Now, I ask them to do that in my description - of all places to do that!  Works better, though!  

I don't expect breakfast as I am plant-based and most people don't know what that is.  I like to have an assortment of teas or coffee, but there is usually no honey or plant-based creamer, so it's not a deal breaker.  I just provide for my guests what I would like to have.

I used to work at a hotel and know for sure that they do not wash or replace bedspreads in between customers (which is why I never laid on them) and I don't do that, but I do wash them every couple of months.  I like the idea of using duvet covers that some have said here.

@Kathryn304  I read somewhere that hotels only wash the bedspreads like twice a year unless there is obviously something spilled or gunky on them. The first thing I do in a hotel or motel is gingerly remove the bedspread, throw it on a chair, then go wash my hands 🙂

Cheryl-And-Bill0
Level 10
Anacortes, WA

I look at guest rating, photos, location and price.  I also want a superhost because I know they take pride in their listing and work hard to maintain those 5 star reviews.  I also like to look at Google maps to see an impartial street photo of the property.   

Fotine0
Level 2
Chranoi, Greece

Above all cleanliness and a comfortable bed  

Julianne15
Level 2
Brynmill, United Kingdom

Lots of people have mentioned coffee here.  I provide guests with good quality tea and ground coffee - and cafetieres etc - some guests prefer instant coffee so there's some of that too. I hadn't thought about providing food for breakfast  but I may consider that now. I'm lucky as theres a great coffee house within close walking distance of my place so guests have that option.  I may have to charge a little more as the room is currently £22/night (this includes tea, coffee, milk, sugar etc). 

I'd be interested to know what other hosts provide and what would be a reasonable price.  

Mary1639
Level 1
North Charleston, SC

We started an Airbnb last summer in a trendy area of a South Carolina City.  We were so surprised at how successful it became.  I learned so much from guest who had suggestions but being a southerner had given us a head start on hospitality. Lots of coffee, local teas, homemade snacks, a free beach kit and great outdoor seating areas.  Our bed is special with extra comforts, reading chairs. We specialize in single or couple guest which is plain to see on our listing but still have the rare guest who lowers our rating by saying we are not large enough to accommodate more than two people!!!  We are Superhost and work hard to keep it that way. 

Susan1229
Level 3
Murphy, NC

There are 3 places where I have been less than happy. At one there was mildew around the tub and the bed wasn't made leaving me to believe nothing had been cleaned. I left and lost my money. Shame on you AirBnb for not refunding.  At another, the kitchen and everything in it was dirty; I cleaned it. And last, I needed first aid supplies after coming back late from a convention, badly scraped from a fall, but couldn't find any.  The bathroom had no cabinet, shelves or stool to place my toiletries. I had to use the floor. Also that place gave instructions on how to tidy up and which garbage can to take your trash to. Later after my review the host said all that info was given in her ad, which was online. Her instructions on where to carry your trash was in the room. 😞 

Cheryl79
Level 1
Victoria, Canada

As a mother, I look for listings with 2 or more bedrooms. That's where Airbnbs can provide more than just a standard hotel room. I like to have a seperate room for the toddler who won't go to sleep if he can see mommy and daddy staying up late watching TV. I also look for minimal decor. The less nicknacks my toddler might get into, the better. And places to put nicknacks out of reach are always appreciated-think high shelves.  It helps me relax when I don't have to worry about what he might get into. A coffee maker is also a must 😉

Sandy356
Level 2
Tyler, TX

I hate having to look for a plug to charge my phone that's behind the bed. The host should provide an extention cord or some charger device next to beds.

Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

Cats... I LOVE to stay in places with cats. I like to play with them, connect with them becayse they are so formidable creatures and I miss my cats when I travel.

@Adriana100   I think you would like our guesthouse then...  😉    We have five Highland Lynxes  roaming the property during the day(they always are inside at night though).    🙂

OMG, I saved your place. It is so beautiful! The cats are adroable! If I ever come to Boise I'll book you.

@Adriana100   We will actually be in Pittsburgh this weekend....our daughter and her family live in Glenshaw...small world!   😉

Noelene4
Level 2
Christchurch, New Zealand

love been part of airbnb , and meeting great people from all over the world  ,very proud to be a KIWI  and showing them  my city 

ps Thank you  AIRBNB