When you travel & stay in an Airbnb - what type of accommodation do you prefer?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

When you travel & stay in an Airbnb - what type of accommodation do you prefer?

Airbnb AccomodationAirbnb Accomodation

Hi everyone, 

When travelling and searching for an Airbnb for a perfect staycation, you may come across a variety of listings and property types that you might want to explore. When travelling as a guest, do you go for an entire home or unit to have the place to yourself or prefer to go for an attached or detached apartment that has a private entrance? Or do you prefer shared homes? Do you specifically look for unique stays at rustic cabins or go for a modern apartment, located in the heart of the city? 

We would love to hear from our Hosts, what type of accommodation do you prefer when travelling as guests 😉 🏘?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

34 Replies 34
Ana2038
Level 10
Santa Ana, CA

@Bhumika , I like a place, a whole house or place to myself, that makes me feel relaxed and comfortable, close to the hub of things but far enough from the noise. Most importantly, I look for cleanliness, then everything else follows…

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Ana2038 , Haha, our preference is similar when it comes to having a place by ourselves that are comfortable — yet closer to the city but have nominal to no noise 😆 

I had a similar stay when we visited Montreal. It was a great experience location wise and we hope to book it next time as well if we visit. Has there been a listing or location that you often repeat during your travels? 

-----

Beatriz1008
Level 2
Venice, FL

It certainly depends on the nature of my trip, for instance:

1.- Medical Trip:  I'd look for a place that would emphasizes in sanitization big time. 

2.- Business trip:  Would have to be a room/bathroom comfortable and as quiet as possible

3.-  Vacational:  I'll chose a place with lots of comfort that suit all my needs 

Basically, that's why Airbnb is what it is, providing all kinds of accommodation for the great variety of needs in the whole world.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Beatriz1008 , It makes so much sense to select a stay based on the purpose of the trip! Thanks so much for listing it! Do you have any upcoming trips planned?

-----

Becky579
Level 2
Zeeland, MI

I would say we definitely prefer to have the whole place to ourselves. We don't care if it is a condo or home. Usually we are looking to stay near a particular area for activities like skiing when we are searching to stay in an Airbnb.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Becky579 , Having whole place to ourselves definitely offers more comfort during the stay! Do you usually have a go-to listing when travelling for your favorite skiing destination? Do you have any memorable experience as a guest from your past trips? 😍

-----

@Bhumika 

When I travel - anywhere - I always look first for and book first in homestay accommodations ! The incredible "Rooms" category! 😍 Forget the rest, they are so much less fun for me! 😁

Ahaha! @Kitty-and-Creek0 , I love how clear you are when it comes to finding a comfortable stay 😉 Do you have any favorite or go-to homestay accommodations or Hosts that stood out to you during your past trips?  😍

-----

Steve4021
Level 2
Aspen, CO

Depends who is travelling - if I travel by myself for business I tend to just do a room with sociable host ,and have build up a number of strong friendships/relationships that way all over the world. 

If travelling with family then self contained single family or condo is the way to go

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thanks for sharing @Steve4021 ! Your approach is very similar to the approach shared by Host @Beatriz1008,  below down in the comments section👇 

That's so great to hear that such trips allow you to build strong friendships across the globe! Have you come across any Hosts, who have influenced your hosting style as well? 😉

-----

Thanks @Bhumika 
In terms of influencing from other hosts I would say was more reinforcement of the importance of one of the key aspects that I focus on which is a concierge approach where I and many of the hosts I stay with do this. They key is to understand what the guests want from their trip and maximize the experience for them with tailored local recommendations on things to do, restaurants. etc.  When I travel, I like to maximize the experience and likewise enjoy doing the same for my guests. Having a generic list of restaurants, things to do etc. is a good base level for a listing but tailoring it to each guest adds an additional level of service e.g. take into account their preferences; their budgetary constraints (e.g. some want high end Aspen restaurant experience while others something more price friendly); their specific composition such young, teen kids, dogs. Basically, I'll customize it as if it was my vacation and add recommendations that would likely never experience otherwise.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's an amazing approach @Steve4021 , to continuously tailor hosting strategies per guest requirements! Thanks for sharing these tips with us. 😍

Do your guests often compliment you for the efforts, also reflecting the positive sentiment in their reviews?

-----

yep @Bhumika I frequently get high praise for efforts taking a concierge approach. One in particular that floored some guests is they let me know they had Scottish heritage and were teaching their kids about it. Being Scottish born and bred any mentioned of Scottish opens up a whole new avenue of experiences/education 🙂 In that case I let the parents and their young son see and touch one of my prized possessions a 300-year-old ancient Scottish historical book - very few Scots even know of or have seen that book. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

WOW! @Steve4021 , it's so beautiful to hear how you incorporate guest's satisfaction through your incredible hospitality , and how these efforts don't go unnoticed by the guests 😍 

300 Year old book!!!  That's quite something, Steve 😯 Would you like to share a glimpse of this prized possession with us?  I'm so curious now 😍

-----

My pleasure , here a couple of teaser pictures of the ancient Scottish book which goes by the impressive name Selectus Diplomatum & Numismatum Scotiae Thesaurus.

It is a huge 18 inch by 11 inch , known as Elephant Portfolio sized, has 100's of pages many with very detailed engravings.

Also added a new post of another unique guest experience I'm getting ready - suspect you might like this also 🙂

Interested to know about hosts who offer optional ... - Airbnb Community (withairbnb.com)

image0 (1).jpegimage1.jpeg